• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

baseless noise complaints from owner below us - harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunnychicago

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello all,

I have been going through the worst time of my life since I moved into this Chicago condo. The owner below us keeps making baseless noise complaints (us walking on the floor.)

The condo management fined us for having improper flooring in our condo. We did as directed and installed cork underlayment + Quietwalk layer for the laminate floor ($2000.) After we did this, and complied with the rules and regulations - there should be no reason for noise complaints - especially of us walking on the floor !

We received a noise complaint again from this person living below us AGAIN. At first I had beleived this guy and even apologized. I agree I was at fault initially - but after putting in two layers of underlayment ?

I found out that this person is a BOARD member and very sensitive to noise (his is old, single and a professor), in fact I investigated and found that the previous owner of my unit had the same problem with this guy.

We are a couple with no kids - my wife had been seriously ill for a month and bed resting - I am at work all day - how much noise could we make - we have a very quiet lifestyle. This guy has been HARASSING us and made our life miserable.

I tried to speak to this person after the last complaint - and tried to explain -that we are living by the rules and to stop making baseless complaints - and he threatened to sue me and I threatened to sue him for harassment.

The last complaint is the last straw for me - my wife collapsed (given her condition) when the securty guard barged in the with the last noise complaint - I had to rush home from work - it was a very bad experience.

What should I do - I know we are not at fault - but this Board member is misusing his position and harassing us. Should I buy a noise meter or something to show that we do not make any noise ? Is there such a thing.

Please Help!

Regards
SunnyChicago

HomeGuru

sunnychicago said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello all,

I have been going through the worst time of my life since I moved into this Chicago condo. The owner below us keeps making baseless noise complaints (us walking on the floor.)

The condo management fined us for having improper flooring in our condo. We did as directed and installed cork underlayment + Quietwalk layer for the laminate floor ($2000.) After we did this, and complied with the rules and regulations - there should be no reason for noise complaints - especially of us walking on the floor !

We received a noise complaint again from this person living below us AGAIN. At first I had beleived this guy and even apologized. I agree I was at fault initially - but after putting in two layers of underlayment ?

I found out that this person is a BOARD member and very sensitive to noise (his is old, single and a professor), in fact I investigated and found that the previous owner of my unit had the same problem with this guy.

We are a couple with no kids - my wife had been seriously ill for a month and bed resting - I am at work all day - how much noise could we make - we have a very quiet lifestyle. This guy has been HARASSING us and made our life miserable.

I tried to speak to this person after the last complaint - and tried to explain -that we are living by the rules and to stop making baseless complaints - and he threatened to sue me and I threatened to sue him for harassment.

The last complaint is the last straw for me - my wife collapsed (given her condition) when the securty guard barged in the with the last noise complaint - I had to rush home from work - it was a very bad experience.

What should I do - I know we are not at fault - but this Board member is misusing his position and harassing us. Should I buy a noise meter or something to show that we do not make any noise ? Is there such a thing.

Please Help!

Regards
SunnyChicago
**A: yes, there is such thing as a sound meter. Just what type of noise is the person down below in hell complaining about? People walking, music, tv noise, human voices etc.?

S

sunnychicago

Thanks for your response HomeGuru!

The complaint is about people (us) walking on the floor ( not continuos - but during night time mostly. ) The last complaint was that something was dragged on the floor from the living room to the bedroom in early hours of the day (me going to work)

We have carpet in the bedroom. BUT Nothing was dragged!! The person below us has also once complained about us using the bathroom ...!

JETX

Just curious... I see nothing in your post about any actions you might have taken to attend any condo board meetings to discuss these ongoing problems. How many meetings have you attended since you moved in??

S

sunnychicago

Actually, I will be attending the board meeting this week. I just found out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">