• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Godmother needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DebraG

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My goddaughter lives in Texas, she is 10. Her father was just released from prison, and her mother bar hops and Lord knows what. I was told that CPS is going to be investigating the mother. If the children are taken away, what are my rights as a godparent to seek possession and custody of my goddaughter. There have been no legal papers drawn up, and I have searched the internet looking for papers and my local library. But as I said I live in Kansas and she lives in Texas.
What are my rights? And what can I do. Someone please help me. Her father is now living with them again after his release. He has tried to kill the mother on several occassions over the last 10 years and she keeps letting him come back. They are grown and can take care of themselves, the children are who I am worried about.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You probably have few to no rights. Being a Godparent is a religious relationship, not a legal one. Do the children have any blood relatives? You could try speakign with a lawyer in TX to see if there's any possibility of having your name put up to take the child in, but I wouldn't place a great deal of hope in it if there are other family members. And even if there are - most states are reluctant to send a child elsewhere - it makes things much more complicated all around. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">