• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company wants a computer image of finger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cheryl01

South Carolina. I bought visits at a local tanning salon. They now want a picture of the end of my finger to store on their computer system for ID. I told them I would not give them a fingerprint they said this was different. I still refused and offered to show them a picture ID but they said they either got a picture of my finger or I could not tan there. They told me to call back on Monday and talk to the Manager. Is this legal ???

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal for them to require a picture of the end of your finger.

Yes, it is legal for them to refuse to allow you to tan there unless you comply.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Cheryl01 said:
South Carolina. I bought visits at a local tanning salon. They now want a picture of the end of my finger to store on their computer system for ID. I told them I would not give them a fingerprint they said this was different. I still refused and offered to show them a picture ID but they said they either got a picture of my finger or I could not tan there. They told me to call back on Monday and talk to the Manager. Is this legal ???

My response:

Was this requirement known to you before you bought your membership; e.g., was it in your membership contract?

IAAL

Lorane

Are you really serious? Unless you have broken the law, why would you have to provide finger prints to anyone? I would consider this a violation of my civil rights and definitely not purchase any services from that place of business. We do have sovereign rights. Our forefathers stated that no law should be passed to protect us from ourselves. To get around that you pass laws like the seat belt law and tell the public that second hand smoke will kill them. Think about it people. Women of men who smoked when I was a child, many years ago, out lived their spouse by 15 to 20 years. Then there are smokers who live to be over 100 years old, like George Burns. By the way, I am not a smoker. Pollution form automobiles and industrial plants are much deadlier. What happened to the cars that were to be out by 2005 model, that were to run on alternative fuels and/or electricity? This all involves big business (lobbing) and the government passing laws for economic reasons and not for the good of the people.

No one should have to use their finger prints as identification for anything. Think twice before doing business at that establishment. Exercise your sovereign rights.

CdwJava

Lorane said:
Are you really serious? Unless you have broken the law, why would you have to provide finger prints to anyone?
That's right, you do NOT have to give them your finger print. But they can also refuse to allow you to tan there. It works both ways.

I would consider this a violation of my civil rights
Unfortunately for you, the law doesn't see it that way. They are not the government and therefore have infringed on none of your rights.

We do have sovereign rights. Our forefathers stated that no law should be passed to protect us from ourselves.
Huh? Where is that one?

To get around that you pass laws like the seat belt law and tell the public that second hand smoke will kill them.
Who is "you"? Nobody here - that I know of - is in a state legislature. Although we ALL vote our elected representatives in to office ... so in that respect we are all responsible for the laws that we live under.

And there is no "law" that says that second hand smoke kills people ... there are groups and individuals that say that, but no laws.

Think about it people. Women of men who smoked when I was a child, many years ago, out lived their spouse by 15 to 20 years. Then there are smokers who live to be over 100 years old, like George Burns. By the way, I am not a smoker.
Then why are you off in left field about smoking when the subject at hand was a tanning salon wanting a scan of your fingerprint?

No one should have to use their finger prints as identification for anything. Think twice before doing business at that establishment. Exercise your sovereign rights.
Fingerprints are a good way of identification. If it were used more often identity theft, fraud and forgery might drop tremendously! Anybody can make up a decent ID with your personal information on it and drive your credit into the toilet, but it would be a whole lot harder if your financial institution had your prints to match it up to.

Bottom line is that it is NOT against the law for them to request your fingerprint. The tanning salon is NOT an extension of the government and cannot violate your rights in this way. You have some choices: you can agree to their demand, you can work for an alternative solution (if possible), or, you can take your business elsewhere.

The business also has a right to enact their own rules and regulations. And if you fail to adhere to those rules, they can say, "Bye-bye!"

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">