• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sewer encroachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevcon

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

While trying to install fencing we found that our neighbors sewer line (not the City owned section) encroaches on our property approx. 1 foot. The new owner is a realtor who placed the property up for sale/rent immediately after purchase.

We have sent a letter asking what they plan to do about it as it is holding up progress on our fence, but no response other than one phone call saying they would have a plumber look into it. What should we do next? We don't want his sewer line on our property and would like to proceed with the fence installation.

Thanks!

FarmerJ

Have you had a boundry survey that shows the current fence line to be right on the property line ? If the sewer pipe has been there for many years you might not be able to get it moved or have any thing done with it other than just leave it be and then see if your city requires different placement when and if the line fails and must be replaced , See years back I owned a home that had a sewer line that was a common line with the house next to it , I learned it was common tap /shared tap when the nieghboring house was to be torn down , the guy who owned it was very mad about the whole thing , he was given the property by his father and all he ever did was collect rent on it and never learned anything more about the house and was quite mad when the city told him that I had a easement through his property since the line had been there many many years and he had to have the firm who was demolishing the house take reasonable steps to protect the line from destruction during tear down . the city also made sure i understood that should the line fail and have to be completely replaced all the way in it had to have a new tap made . that didnt cross through the nieghbors lot . BTW have you contacted your city water and sewer dept to learn if your home and the house next to you have there own tap cards ? if they list it as a shared tap or only list say you and not the nieghbor then you have a shared sewer tap . give that a wizz to and see what they tell you . then you would have a better idea how to proceed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">