• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket, paid it, and THEN...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer9182

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently received a non-moving ticket (expired plates) and, several days after sending in payment, received a letter saying that I had to go to court. What could have happened? I am going to find out if the check has been cashed. What do I do in either case?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qwer9182 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently received a non-moving ticket (expired plates) and, several days after sending in payment, received a letter saying that I had to go to court. What could have happened? I am going to find out if the check has been cashed. What do I do in either case?

Thanks

My response:

When did you pay for your new tags, before or after you paid the ticket? If after, how long after?

IAAL

qwer9182

The license plates were renewed several days after receiving the ticket, and at least a week before sending in payment for the ticket.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qwer9182 said:
The license plates were renewed several days after receiving the ticket, and at least a week before sending in payment for the ticket.

My response:

Then the judge wants to see your renewal. Once the judge sees it, it's out the door you go!

IAAL

qwer9182

Are you sure that is all it is? On the ticket it was not checked that a court appearance was required. I still don't know if the check was cashed. What if they did not receive the payment? If they didn't, will it be okay if payment is made when I go?

One thing I now realize is that I was supposed to send in the ticket I received along with the payment. (I simply sent a check and referenced the ticket number.) Could my payment not have been processed? They didn't send the check back or anything. What should I do? I don't have the actual ticket to bring them.

Last edited:

CdwJava

If you have a court date, it's likely as IAAL said - the judge wants to see the information. To be safe, prior to the court date, check with the bank and find out the status of the check you mailed. Bring the information on the check with you to court (when mailed, when deposited, etc.).

Also bring a copy of the renewal with you to court.

The court onyl receives your registration status as of the time you received the citation. They are not going to run it up again for no reason. So, if you can show that it has been renewed, you will likely have a very short court appearance.

- Carl

qwer9182

We checked with the bank and it looks as if the check has not been cashed. So, I am starting to think they never received it. The way I understand it is that they still think my plates are expired since they only checked it when I got the ticket? Since they (appearently) didn't get my payment, is this a contempt of court issue? Would I know if there was a warrant for my arrest? I don't want to go to jail.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qwer9182 said:
We checked with the bank and it looks as if the check has not been cashed. So, I am starting to think they never received it. The way I understand it is that they still think my plates are expired since they only checked it when I got the ticket? Since they (appearently) didn't get my payment, is this a contempt of court issue? Would I know if there was a warrant for my arrest? I don't want to go to jail.

My response:

Okay, then the fact remains that you NEVER paid the ticket, and you have no proof that you attempted to pay. The court doesn't have the money in its hands, so the court will not look kindly on the situation. You more than likely have a warrant out for your arrest and, when you appear in court, you'll not only have to pay the ticket right then and there, but increased fines, and be sentenced to about 40 to 50 hours of Community Service.

You say you paid, you say you lost your ticket, the check wasn't cashed, etc., etc., etc. It's all bullsh!t. The court has heard it all before. Did you really believe that someone would be able to give you some sort of excuse or a defense?

IAAL

qwer9182

I don't see any reason why they would not have received the check. Would they not cash it because my mom wrote it? Do they need her approval when we go? We have the check information and a copy of the check that was sent. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

ptlmejo

How about, contact the issuing agency and ask if they did receive it? If not, make payment arragements with them, like, yesterday.

Dandy Don

Whoever sent the letter out might not have had any way of knowing when you paid, and it is possible that the payment was lost in US Post Office Mail or perhaps you made a mistake with the mailing address, if in fact you did send it by US mail.

It may be too late to do anything now except go to court, but if you can afford to pay the bill again IN PERSON at their offices just to get it cleared up and NOT pay by mail, then work on getting the refund later on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">