• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor's prescription was addictive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mizmama

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My daughter was prescribed a highly addictive pain medicine for her pre and post operative condition. She lives in a semi rural area. To make a long story short, she tried to call in a fake prescription when the medication ran out. She was charged with prescription fraud. Now she has been given three years deferred adjudication. She has never been in trouble, married with a family and is, or was, taking classes toward a nursing career.
My questions: What more, if anything, could her lawyer have done? Should she forget about becoming a nurse? What is deferred adjudication and how long will it be on her record?
Thanks for any info/opinion.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mizmama said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My daughter was prescribed a highly addictive pain medicine for her pre and post operative condition. She lives in a semi rural area. To make a long story short, she tried to call in a fake prescription when the medication ran out. She was charged with prescription fraud. Now she has been given three years deferred adjudication. She has never been in trouble, married with a family and is, or was, taking classes toward a nursing career.
My questions: What more, if anything, could her lawyer have done? Should she forget about becoming a nurse? What is deferred adjudication and how long will it be on her record?
Thanks for any info/opinion.

My response:

You said, "To make a long story short, she tried to call in a fake prescription when the medication ran out."

What I'd like to know is how your druggie daughter thought she was going to get away with this?

She can forget about her "nursing career". That's over.

Deferred adjudication means that if she violates this, or other laws, during her probationary period, she goes to prison for the term specified for her offense.

IAAL

M

Mizmama

prescription drugs

I am in Texas.
This is addressed to "I Am Always Liable".
When you refer to "druggies" you could easily be referring to a large percentage of the population who depend on some form of drug/prescription or herbal remedy. If doctors can't prescribe addictive medicines with greater caution, we'll turn into a nation of druggies.
Many young people turn to drugs to escape the misery they are in. Some lives can be salvaged. If there is even one person who cares enough to go to hell and back with them, they have a chance to start over. I care that much for my daughter. Not you or any one else can tell me she can't have a chance to fulfill her dreams. Maybe you have been in front of a computer screen too long answering faceless emails.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mizmama said:
I am in Texas.
This is addressed to "I Am Always Liable".
When you refer to "druggies" you could easily be referring to a large percentage of the population who depend on some form of drug/prescription or herbal remedy. If doctors can't prescribe addictive medicines with greater caution, we'll turn into a nation of druggies.
Many young people turn to drugs to escape the misery they are in. Some lives can be salvaged. If there is even one person who cares enough to go to hell and back with them, they have a chance to start over. I care that much for my daughter. Not you or any one else can tell me she can't have a chance to fulfill her dreams. Maybe you have been in front of a computer screen too long answering faceless emails.

My response:

Lady, I too have been prescribed addictive medicines. I followed directions, didn't become addicted, and didn't violate any laws in the process. Many young people attempt to escape their "misery" because their parents were worthless parents.

Your daughter's career aspirations are over. She's a druggie felon.

IAAL

CdwJava

Depending on the background process required for nursing in TX she may still have a chance at that career. Though she may want to consult an attorney when her deferred adjudication is up.

And, I presume that by "deferred adjudication" you meant "deferred probation" - and the two terms seem to be used synonymously in TX.

Here is one of numerous links I found on Google using <"deferred probation" Texas>:

http://www.dallascriminallawyer.com/faq_adjudicationprobation.html

And doctors prescribe medication to help their patients. The patients make a conscious decision to allow the drugs to take that much control of their life or not. Some are more prone to addictive behavior than others. My wife has chronic back pain and takes Vicodin and Soma for the condition. However, she usually prefers to use Tylenol or nothing at all simply to avoid the potential for becoming hooked on prescription meds. It is a conscious decision on her part to avoid a problem.

And as a nurse, the likelihood of your daughter to become hooked on meds is far greater than that of any patient. If she HAS this addictive personality, nursing may not be the career for her.

Life is full of decisions. Hopefully she will make some better ones in the future.

- Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CdwJava said:
Depending on the background process required for nursing in TX she may still have a chance at that career. Though she may want to consult an attorney when her deferred adjudication is up.

And, I presume that by "deferred adjudication" you meant "deferred probation" - and the two terms seem to be used synonymously in TX.

Here is one of numerous links I found on Google using <"deferred probation" Texas>:

http://www.dallascriminallawyer.com/faq_adjudicationprobation.html

And doctors prescribe medication to help their patients. The patients make a conscious decision to allow the drugs to take that much control of their life or not. Some are more prone to addictive behavior than others. My wife has chronic back pain and takes Vicodin and Soma for the condition. However, she usually prefers to use Tylenol or nothing at all simply to avoid the potential for becoming hooked on prescription meds. It is a conscious decision on her part to avoid a problem.

And as a nurse, the likelihood of your daughter to become hooked on meds is far greater than that of any patient. If she HAS this addictive personality, nursing may not be the career for her.

Life is full of decisions. Hopefully she will make some better ones in the future.

- Carl

My response:

You see, Carl has more optimism than me. But optimism and a dime, won't buy your daughter a cup of coffee. The licensing board won't allow her to practice with a felony drug record.

Flipping burgers is a more likely profession. She really blew it.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">