• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of benefits after offer letter signed-MARYLAND

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OAQ1039472

MARYLAND.

January 30, 2004 I signed an offer letter which included x number of vacation and sick days. My question: can the employer change my vacation and sick days allowed even though my signed offer letter stated a different number of vacation and sick days allowed? The company's website states different benefits for employees of my grade. I'm not certain if this was always the information on the website or if it changed after I signed my offer letter. Which do I go by the offer letter or what is posted on the website as company policy? Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"can the employer change my vacation and sick days allowed even though my signed offer letter stated a different number of vacation and sick days allowed? "

Yes. Neither vacation days nor sick days are required by law. The employer is free to change their policies at any time they choose to unless there is a bona fide contract that forbids it. It is extremely rare that an offer letter constitutes a contract.

You are free to check with HR or your manager upon starting the job. It is not impossible that the offer letter is correct and the web site has not yet been updated after a recent increase, which is reflected in your offer letter. But IF you are told that the offer letter is incorrect and you must go by the number in the web site, that is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">