• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment - moving back to Europe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Luceromio

State: California
Both my husband and I agree on having an annulment. We have been married for 2 years and we have been separated for a few months now. Reason for annulment: I want children, he doesn't. No hard feelings. We have decided to move on. I want to move back to Europe (Spain) where I am from and want this annulment done ASAP. How fast can I get it done so that I can leave?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Luceromio said:
Both my husband and I agree on having an annulment. We have been married for 2 years and we have been separated for a few months now. Reason for annulment: I want children, he doesn't. No hard feelings. We have decided to move on. I want to move back to Europe (Spain) where I am from and want this annulment done ASAP. How fast can I get it done so that I can leave?

My response:

You don't have grounds for an annulment. So, you get to wait in line with the rest of the people who want to Dissolve their marriages.

IAAL

Luceromio said:

Look if you want it fast and in a hurry get an uncontested divorce, the annulment can take along time and whatever. An uncontested divorce can happen really fast and you all can be done with it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bulldogg70 said:
Look if you want it fast and in a hurry get an uncontested divorce, the annulment can take along time and whatever. An uncontested divorce can happen really fast and you all can be done with it.

My response:

Bulldog, with all due respect, you're not a member of the Bar of California like I am and, as such, you don't know what you're talking about. Also, Dissolution of Marriage is my main practice area.

California "divorces" (known as "Dissolutions") are "uncontested". In California, there's nothing to stop a person from divorcing their spouse at any time - and basically, for no reason whatsoever. These are "No Fault" Dissolutions of marriage. What takes time are the property and child issues.

In California, an Annulment (if you have the "grounds") takes no time at all, and neither do "Legal Separations". It's the Dissolutions that require a 6 month waiting period before a final entry of Dissolution is granted.

Our writer doesn't have any grounds for an Annulment; hence, if she wants to get remarried, then she's going to need a divorce and wait the full 6 months.

That's it, end of story.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Bulldog, with all due respect, you're not a member of the Bar of California like I am and, as such, you don't know what you're talking about. Also, Dissolution of Marriage is my main practice area.

California "divorces" (known as "Dissolutions") are "uncontested". In California, there's nothing to stop a person from divorcing their spouse at any time - and basically, for no reason whatsoever. These are "No Fault" Dissolutions of marriage. What takes time are the property and child issues.

In California, an Annulment (if you have the "grounds") takes no time at all, and neither do "Legal Separations". It's the Dissolutions that require a 6 month waiting period before a final entry of Dissolution is granted.

Our writer doesn't have any grounds for an Annulment; hence, if she wants to get remarried, then she's going to need a divorce and wait the full 6 months.

That's it, end of story.

IAAL

I was not challenging your answer, however I gave a general answer. I think the only thing I really missed was the time frame, when I said really fast, I meant in the 6 month time frame. I can also agree with you that divorces can take along time when children are involved.... this is the bread and butter of family lawyers and it helps for them to be really thorough in such matters.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bulldogg70 said:
I was not challenging your answer, however I gave a general answer. I think the only thing I really missed was the time frame, when I said really fast, I meant in the 6 month time frame. I can also agree with you that divorces can take along time when children are involved.... this is the bread and butter of family lawyers and it helps for them to be really thorough in such matters.

My response:

Oh, okay. That explains everything. ;)

this is the bread and butter of family lawyers and it helps for them to be really thorough in such matters.
Really? I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

IAAL

L

Luceromio

This is the answer I got from a Lawyer: :) You are filing in Guam, so you follow Guam statutes. Therefore,
there is no
waiting period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">