• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor from Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teniene

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello All,

I'm dealing with a neighbor from hell.

I've lived at my current home for 21 years. The home next door has changed hands several times. The current owner is a nightmare and I do believe mentally unbalanced.

I really don't know where to begin with all this. It's a long story, but the bottom line is that this man (and his children, guests, etc.) refuses to stay off my property. I've had the police out several times about this. They issue verbal warnings to him. He'll heed their warnings for a while, but eventually I catch him back over here again.

He's destroyed two circular flower beds that I have in my side yard and stolen flowers from them.

One year he cut down a 50 foot tree and laid it across my side yard all the way into my driveway. I had to contact the police to get him to remove it.

His kids have run in back of my car as I'm backing out several times. I've had to shoo a toddler that was living there from in back of the car on several occassions. I told him I was afraid of hitting one of them and to please keep them out of my yard. Again, he'll comply for a few days or weeks. Then they're back over here running across my property again. His kids have invited other neighborhood kids into my yard for ball games. I've had the police to talk to him and his kids and tell them my yard isn't a park. His kids don't respect boundaries because he doesn't.

His trees extend onto my property and he refuses to maintain them, so I incur the expense of maintaining them. He's even gone as far as running his lawn mower over leaves in my yard (from his trees mind you) in an attempt to stop the wind from blowing them into his yard. He doesn't bother to rake or suck the leaves up and the ground up leaves make the yard look a mess. I hire a lawn service to remove the leaves every year. He knows this. I've asked him not to mow, mulch, or come into my yard. He'll abide for a while and then he's right back at it again. He's fixated on my property and refuses to leave me and my yard alone.

When I first tried talking to him about staying off my property his response was, "A yard is just a yard to me!" He's crazy and there is no reasoning with him. He just refuses to stay on his side of the property line, which is clearly marked. If I put a fence up, I know he'll only destroy it. He's very destructive.

He's destroyed another neighbor's fence. He cut down another 50 foot tree that crashed into another neighbor's fence, as well as his own garage, destroying both. He's never bothered to fix this neighbor's fence or his garage. Both are eyesores. His whole property is an eyesore--torn down rain gutters (lying in the yard and driveway), a house in bad need of painting, garbage strewn all over the place, and the demolished garage you can see clear through. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ultimately, I know I have to move to get away from this madman and I'm working on it. Right now money is tight, and I have to get into a better financial position before moving, which is another reason I don't want to pay for erecting a fence.

I'd like to know if I can prosecute this man for trespasssing or get a restraining order on him blocking him from my property.

This whole thing is way old. I'm tired of this man and want him to go away once and for all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've never had this problem with any previous owners of the home. The boundary line is clearly marked.

Ciarraine

Teniene said:

Hello All,

I've lived at my current home for 21 years. The home next door has changed hands several times. The current owner is a nightmare and I do believe mentally unbalanced.

I really don't know where to begin with all this. It's a long story, but the bottom line is that this man (and his children, guests, etc.) refuses to stay off my property. I've had the police out several times about this. They issue verbal warnings to him. He'll heed their warnings for a while, but eventually I catch him back over here again.

He's destroyed two circular flower beds that I have in my side yard and stolen flowers from them.

One year he cut down a 50 foot tree and laid it across my side yard all the way into my driveway. I had to contact the police to get him to remove it.

His kids have run in back of my car as I'm backing out several times. I've had to shoo a toddler that was living there from in back of the car on several occassions. I told him I was afraid of hitting one of them and to please keep them out of my yard. Again, he'll comply for a few days or weeks. Then they're back over here running across my property again. His kids have invited other neighborhood kids into my yard for ball games. I've had the police to talk to him and his kids and tell them my yard isn't a park. His kids don't respect boundaries because he doesn't.

His trees extend onto my property and he refuses to maintain them, so I incur the expense of maintaining them. He's even gone as far as running his lawn mower over leaves in my yard (from his trees mind you) in an attempt to stop the wind from blowing them into his yard. He doesn't bother to rake or suck the leaves up and the ground up leaves make the yard look a mess. I hire a lawn service to remove the leaves every year. He knows this. I've asked him not to mow, mulch, or come into my yard. He'll abide for a while and then he's right back at it again. He's fixated on my property and refuses to leave me and my yard alone.

When I first tried talking to him about staying off my property his response was, "A yard is just a yard to me!" He's crazy and there is no reasoning with him. He just refuses to stay on his side of the property line, which is clearly marked. If I put a fence up, I know he'll only destroy it. He's very destructive.

He's destroyed another neighbor's fence. He cut down another 50 foot tree that crashed into another neighbor's fence, as well as his own garage, destroying both. He's never bothered to fix this neighbor's fence or his garage. Both are eyesores. His whole property is an eyesore--torn down rain gutters (lying in the yard and driveway), a house in bad need of painting, garbage strewn all over the place, and the demolished garage you can see clear through. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ultimately, I know I have to move to get away from this madman and I'm working on it. Right now money is tight, and I have to get into a better financial position before moving, which is another reason I don't want to pay for erecting a fence.

I'd like to know if I can prosecute this man for trespasssing or get a restraining order on him blocking him from my property.

This whole thing is way old. I'm tired of this man and want him to go away once and for all.

I've never had this problem with any previous owners of the home. The boundary line is clearly marked.
1. Post some No Trespassing signs.
2. Document any transgressions.
3. Try and avoid him.
4. Involve the police if you catch him in the act of damaging your property and/or trespassing. Ask for copies of the police report. If you continue to get only the "verbal warnings," call the police department and explain your dilemma.
5. See a lawyer. You might be able to file a private criminal suit for defiant trespass, depending on the facts of the case.

Not too much you can do about the state of his property, unless it's a building code violation and the municipal government is willing to take an interest.

skyspirit

Hehehe! There seems to be alot of neighbors in Ohio JUST LIKE THIS! I have had my run-ins in Ohio too!

Here's what I would do:
Post the no trespassing signs (as suggested above)
Document in writing/photos/videos when this is violated
Call the police and document by report
Contact your prosecutor
If that doesn't work, then go see an attorney.

Document well and make a paper trail.

Good luck!!

Sky

stevek3

Teniene said:

Hello All,

Nothing you really can do as far as the law is concerned. These people couldn't care less. These yahoos would undoubtedly retaliate if you tried ANYTHING having to do with the law. So why bother? These suggestions of a "No Trespassing" sign are incredibly silly. That's like putting up a sign in front of a dog that says "No Pooping." I seriously doubt signs bought at the Home Depot will discourage either the trespassing or the pooping. These are people who simply don't give a damn. These also appear to be people who would make things even worse if you tried anything having to do with the law. You're in a total no-win situation until they move.

Best advice is to put up a solid privacy fence as high as your code allows. Create a barrier all around your property, if possible. I would also suggest you look up an old Armond Budish column, which I believe he wrote last year. I recall reading it, it was published in the Plain Dealer and in some other Ohio newspapers. He answered the very question you're asking now. He's a lawyer in Cleveland, he also writes a free-lance weekly column regarding these types of Ohio everyday issues for everyday people. We also happened to go to the same summer camp many, many years ago, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

Ciarraine

stevek3 said:
Nothing you really can do as far as the law is concerned. These people couldn't care less. These yahoos would undoubtedly retaliate if you tried ANYTHING having to do with the law. So why bother? These suggestions of a "No Trespassing" sign are incredibly silly. That's like putting up a sign in front of a dog that says "No Pooping."
Stevek3, the reason people suggested No Trespassing signs is that they create a situation wherein, if they are violated, Teniene then has a criminal case against the trespassers under the charge of Defiant Trespass.

stevek3 said:
You're in a total no-win situation until they move.
Not really.

stevek3 said:
Best advice is to put up a solid privacy fence as high as your code allows. Create a barrier all around your property, if possible.
It's pretty clear from teniene's post that we're talking about a very substantial plot and fencing it is probably prohibitively expensive.

stevek3

Ciarraine said:
Stevek3, the reason people suggested No Trespassing signs is that they create a situation wherein, if they are violated, Teniene then has a criminal case against the trespassers under the charge of Defiant Trespass.

Not really.

It's pretty clear from teniene's post that we're talking about a very substantial plot and fencing it is probably prohibitively expensive.

I read her post, I KNOW what she is talking about. If she doesn't want the expense, then she needs to move. That's the reality.

With respect to the "No Trespassing" signs, I KNOW the underlying purpose. I ain't dumb. I also know that in this case, it would be utterly worthless. Anybody who behaves like this has a sweet criminal record going back a lot of years. In fact, if she gives me the guy's name, I could quickly prove it. He simply DOES NOT CARE. Other than creating a giant wall around her property and/or shooting him in the head, there is realistically nothing she can do to prevent this guy from making her life miserable.

Trespassing? You gotta be kidding. What's next, threatening Osama bin Laden with a parking ticket? Oooh, that will teach him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">