• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exclusive easement Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogstooth

What is the name of your state? Washington State

My neighbor was granted an exclusive easement to access his dock that was mistakenly put on my waterfront from a bad survey. This was done after his unsuccessfully attempt to take it by adverse possession by a previous owner 10 years ago to uncloud the title.

When I moved in, he immediately posted "no treasspassing" signs and told me he took the land by adverse possesion. I looked into it and confronted him with the easement, and he told me it was exclusive, meaning I excluded from using it. So basically it was his property, and I would be trespassing it we used it (the land...not his dock/boathouse).

At this point at had no desire to fight with him, and since it was his access to the dock, I felt this was a fair compromise.

Since then he's been using other portions of my property for guest parking and blocking the driveway (which is a separate ingress/egress easment). I felt it was time to address both easment issues. He had a cow.

The easement states " hereby, the A***y's hereby convery to the H****an's a perpetual exclusive easement over and across that portion of their real property describe in Exhibit A".

I'm guessing I've got a pretty good claim to my property. I'd just like to use it for the same purposes that "we" all are using it for....access to the lake...and parking a extras car.

He's retained a lawyer, and at this point I'm mad. I'm going to try to void the easement for "lack of consideration". At the very least I want capitulation.

Am I wrong? Does he have the right to keep me off?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">