• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company reneging on separation agreement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bg42008

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida. My mother took early retirement in 1991 during a company downsizing. In a written separation agreement, the company agreed to pay for a life insurance policy until her death. She is 75 now and the company wrote a letter stating it will no longer pay for the insurance. Is this legal? What recourse do we have? Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not this is legal depends entirely upon the EXACT wording of the agreement and, to a certain extent, on the insurance policy itself. Some life insurance policies automatically cancel when the insured reaches a certain age. If that is the case with this one, there's no point in their continuing to pay for a policy that is no longer in force.

You will have to show both the insurance policy and the letter of agreement to a local attorney. We cannot evaluate the enforceability of an agreement we have not seen, nor know the terms of a policy we have not read.

B

bg42008

company reneging

Thank you for your response. The exact wording, as one of the terms of the separation agreement is: "Your life insurance will be reduced to $20,000.00. This coverage is provided for your life at no cost to you." I beleive the insurance policy would still be in force as they offered to continue it if she paid for it herself at a cost of $2,392.00 per year. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">