• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to figure out backpay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ren225

If social security is figuing my onset date is Feb. 2002, but my date of application was Feb 2004,how do the figure out back pay. in some instances I've been told they go 12 months back from application date minus the first five months, in another situation I was told they'll go back to date of onset minus the first 5 months, but yet in another situation Iwas told that thewill go back to Feb 2003 and consider the first five months already used up because my onset date was Feb 2002. can anyone straighten this mess out for me as all answers came from either my Attorney or different S.S. Offices

Whyte Noise

SSI goes back to the date of filing, period. No farther back than that.

Now, with the 5 months waiting period, it seems like you're talking about SSDI, because that's what has the waiting period. SSI has no such thing.

With SSDI, they can go back one year from the date of application "IF" your onset date was that far back. They don't have to, but they can. In your case, and using the dates you gave, they could go back to Feb 2003 since you applied in Feb. 2004. However, you have to remember they take off those 5 months. So, technically, your retro benefits would be from July 2003 forward. You'd also be eligible for Medicare July 2005, which is 24 months from the time you become eligible for SSDI benefits. If you're eligible for SSI, that would only go back to your filing date, Feb. 2004.

They can't go back more than one year from the date of your application for SSDI unless there is a prior application that is reopened and revised.

R

ren225

Sorry, It is S.S.D.I. and not S.S.I.
When I called there national number they said that the were going back to Feb. 2003 and were waiving the first five months because my date of onset was so far backto feb. 2002. Yet at there website it states they go back from date of onset minus the first six months and were going to sonsider medicare fron date of on set
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dapproval.htm

but my Attorney told me they me they only go back 17 months total no matter how far back date of onset was.

and the local office was so rude to me they won't even give you the time of day let alone any help. They just told me it could take upto 90 days and they can't answer any of my questions at this time so just be patient.

see why I'm confused? Any more help with links to info would help alot also
Thank You

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">