• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kpepperz

What is the name of your state? IL
I am considering my options regarding my marriage and have questions. My h and I are 24% owners in a family business. Over the past 2 years, he has about $4000 in unpaid wages (for manufacturing product) from the bussiness owed to him, as well as a $2000 unpaid milage bill owed to him for use of our personal vehicles for trade shows. He also has taken vacation days from his day job to go to trade shows with no compensation from the company. He puts in 40 hours a week after his day job with no compensation whatsoever. I was wondering how likely it was that this money would be recoverable in the event of divorce. He has repeatedly told me that "the money isn't there to pay him" but my in-laws are collecting a bi-weekly check for the work they do for the company, while we struggle and need to get loans to pay for a furnace and necessary car repairs on the vehilcles that were used.

kpepperz said:
What is the name of your state? IL
I am considering my options regarding my marriage and have questions. My h and I are 24% owners in a family business. Over the past 2 years, he has about $4000 in unpaid wages (for manufacturing product) from the bussiness owed to him, as well as a $2000 unpaid milage bill owed to him for use of our personal vehicles for trade shows. He also has taken vacation days from his day job to go to trade shows with no compensation from the company. He puts in 40 hours a week after his day job with no compensation whatsoever. I was wondering how likely it was that this money would be recoverable in the event of divorce. He has repeatedly told me that "the money isn't there to pay him" but my in-laws are collecting a bi-weekly check for the work they do for the company, while we struggle and need to get loans to pay for a furnace and necessary car repairs on the vehilcles that were used.

I do not know how to answer this because you are saying something about your marrige then go on about your Husband and his lost wages so you "two" can fix the house. Are you all just having a trouble spot in your marriage ? I would suggest, and this is clearly just my sole opinion, as long as their is not any violence in the house, the kids are doing ok that you all hang in there. Do not let money ruin your marriage, I think it is one of the silliest things to divorce for and sad enough it is the most common.

kpepperz

bulldogg70 said:
I do not know how to answer this because you are saying something about your marrige then go on about your Husband and his lost wages so you "two" can fix the house. Are you all just having a trouble spot in your marriage ? I would suggest, and this is clearly just my sole opinion, as long as their is not any violence in the house, the kids are doing ok that you all hang in there. Do not let money ruin your marriage, I think it is one of the silliest things to divorce for and sad enough it is the most common.
I wish the problems were as simple as "just" money. He consistently says one thing and does another. Marriage counseling proved to be a waste of money, since he told the therapist "it is too difficult for him to follow through on what he says" because then the kids don't like him. We have a blended family, and recently his daughter went to live with her mom due to my h not wanting to step up and set limits for her. It was easier for him to let her go, then he turns and blames me for it. The lastest straw was him out and out lying to me about my own daughter, because he couldn't tell her "no" in front of her friends. Moreover, we have a child together, and that child has special needs, and I am becoming more and more concerned about what will happen when this child gets older. My h was not like this when I married him. Trying to talk to him is pointless, all he says is he cannot be who I need him to be. Trust me, divorce is the last resort, but how do you fix the marriage when only one person is willing to work on it?

Now, the issue about the "lost wages"....he will not push to get what he is owed, repeatedly states he is going to stop working for free, yet (surprise!!) he STILL keeps doing it. My question is...will something like this (the money owed and time he works for free) be taken into account in the event of a divorce?

kpepperz said:
I wish the problems were as simple as "just" money. He consistently says one thing and does another. Marriage counseling proved to be a waste of money, since he told the therapist "it is too difficult for him to follow through on what he says" because then the kids don't like him. We have a blended family, and recently his daughter went to live with her mom due to my h not wanting to step up and set limits for her. It was easier for him to let her go, then he turns and blames me for it. The lastest straw was him out and out lying to me about my own daughter, because he couldn't tell her "no" in front of her friends. Moreover, we have a child together, and that child has special needs, and I am becoming more and more concerned about what will happen when this child gets older. My h was not like this when I married him. Trying to talk to him is pointless, all he says is he cannot be who I need him to be. Trust me, divorce is the last resort, but how do you fix the marriage when only one person is willing to work on it?

Now, the issue about the "lost wages"....he will not push to get what he is owed, repeatedly states he is going to stop working for free, yet (surprise!!) he STILL keeps doing it. My question is...will something like this (the money owed and time he works for free) be taken into account in the event of a divorce?

Each state is different about incomes, so look at total incomes others look at the full-time job and do not consider the part-time job. However, if there is suppose to be wages and he is not getting them than you do have a case.... becareful there is a reason the company is not paying him. Also, if there is a recognized amount of money that is due prior to divorce then I would say yes that a protion of that money is up for consideration when dividing the monies and properties.

I am sorry to hear about your relationship, I wish I could help but that appears to be something he is going to have to recognize one way or another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">