• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What kind of contract do I need?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roadhand

What is the name of your state? Texas

I own a small surveying business and have been approached by one of my competitors about assuming some of his client base. He has the ability to ensure that these clients use my services. We have verbally agreed that I would give him 10% of the monthly billings for these clients for a term of one year. The yearly revenue for these is expected to be in the $150,000 range. I would like this to be in writing and would like to know if there is a certain type of contract that needs to be drawn up. Are there any type of pitfalls, or traps that I should be on the look out for? I am still new in business as a sole proprietor, he is a corporation. I have always felt that if something was too good to be true that it usually isnt. His reasoning for doing this is that he is semi-retiring.

BelizeBreeze

The expected income is $150,000 minus $15,000 (10%) and approx. 30% for added employees ($40,000) leaving you a net income of approximately $80,000 and you don't think this kind of additional income warrants paying an attorney about $1,000 to draft a contract that would protect both you and the other party?

roadhand

Yes I do, That is what I am asking, is this anything more than a simple contract or is there something in particular that I should be asking for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">