• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

helllp...bieng sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coolio

What is the name of your state? califorina
i am bieng sued for negligence of motor vehicle.
i was a del taco parking lot, i was pulling out of my space when some one walked behind me. i then re-entered the parking stall and got out of my vehicle and offered my information. they replied that they were alright(they were intoxicated). they refused to take it and got hostile and told me to leave before something bad happened. i left and a year later im being sued...i had 2 people in the car with me. there accusing me of fracturing his hip. after he walked away. what do i do. i already have been summoned

stephenk

turn the paperwork over to your auto insurance carrier that covered the car at the time of the accident.

stephenk

with all the money you saved in not having to pay insurance premiums, you should be able to afford an attorney to defend you.

C

coolio

i would if i could afford it, its sort of hard when your young and have no money.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertMiller

Help - being sued.

Thank you for your posting, and the opportunity to serve you further.

One thing that was not noted in your case is whether or not you actually hit anybody or anything - that may be your greatest defense. You only mentioned someone walking behind your car, which causes no liability on your part unless there was an impact or injury.

I'd like to give you all of your options, no matter what, so bear with me.

Since it appears you've been served with the lawsuit, there are certain things you need to do right away. To prevent a default, or automatic judgment, you have to file a response within 30 days. A response is normally a written answer to the charges, for which you can use the court forms, although you can also challenge the lawsuit through a demurrer or motion to strike. Doing this will extend the time you have to deal with this case, since they will not be able to get an immediate judgment.

From there, the case will proceed towards trial, which may take months, or even as long as a year or more. During that time, you may be served with written questions to answer, you may be requested to provide documents, or you may be subject to your deposition being taken.

A second option is to negotiate a settlement in the case.

A third option is to do nothing, and get a judgment against you. If you are truly poor, as your screen name suggests, they will not be able to collect against you.

A fourth option, and some might say a last resort, is to file bankruptcy.

I hope that this information helps, but feel free to email or call if you have any further questions.

Robert Miller
Attorney at Law

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">