• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Billing Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bsingu

What is the name of your state?
Iowa

I visited a dentist last month for a dental cleaning. In the course of my visit, the doctor identified cavities and recommended a dental filling in as many as nine teeth. The doctor’s office made an estimate for the total procedure and suggested a co-payment of $170.00 after considering my dental insurance. This amount was affordable to my living state and agreed to the dental service. Subsequently, the office scheduled couple of appointments and I paid the specified amount during my office visits.

Last week, I received a statement of account from the dentist’s office with a total co-payment of $779.60 and pending bill for $609.60. I understand estimates are an approximation and the actual value is likely to be more or less of the estimate by a certain percentage. However, I never imagined it to be different by over 400%. This is distressing, especially when I made my decision to undertake the fillings based on the estimate provided by the doctor’s office. I was surprised and appalled to see such a huge bill sent to me, when I would never have agreed in the first place, if I had any knowledge of the actual price beforehand.

I am stuck with this huge bill. Can someone suggest me what to do?

vrzirn

With 9 cavities it would appear you are someone who would rather let his teeth rot than pay to have them repaired.
The bill, your teeth, your insurance and how much they will pay are your very own responsibility.Pay the doctor. In the small print it tells you you are responsible.
Apparently, your carrier is not going to cover as much as the denits's bookeeper thought. It is up to you to be aware of your coverage limits and you should have know before you even set foot in his office. Usually, the estimates are close to the final bill so perhaps there was some complication you are not telling us about.
If he has not completed the work, pay him and let the rest rot if that is your desire. If you do not pay he will, rightfully, sue you.

Last edited:
Last week, I received a statement of account from the dentist’s office with a total co-payment of $779.60 and pending bill for $609.60. I understand estimates are an approximation and the actual value is likely to be more or less of the estimate by a certain percentage. However, I never imagined it to be different by over 400%. This is distressing, especially when I made my decision to undertake the fillings based on the estimate provided by the doctor’s office. I was surprised and appalled to see such a huge bill sent to me, when I would never have agreed in the first place, if I had any knowledge of the actual price beforehand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now - I could be wrong here, but this is what I am thinking happened. (As this has happened to me before).

Your Co-Payment was $170.

They sent you a letter in the mail stating that the total co-payment was $779.60

$609.60 of the bill was "pending".

If you subtract $779.60 from $609.60 that = $170 (exactly)

Is is possible that when they say that the $609.60 is "pending" - they possibly mean that it is "pending" with the insurance company?

Your insurance doesn't always pay the tab right away.

Check the paper that you got and make sure that they are wanting payment from YOU. This could just be a paper to let you know what is going on, something like an "EOB" (Explanation of Benefits).

I would probably get those in the mail too - but my insurance company provides this for me on-line where I can access it any time.

I hope this is the case for you. I'd hate to see you have to pay all that money when they said that your "co-payment" was only $170.

Good luck!
- Kari :)

DGO1223

I would simply call my insurance co. and ask for the status of your claim, giving date, dentist name, your ID #, etc., etc. At that time you can also ask any questions you have about how they determine payment on any dental services.

Also, did you get a pre-treatment estimate from your ins. company before you started the fillings?

badgator

re:

Agreed with Kari -
Did you talk to the office? Im sure this is a mistake in reading the bill. Also agreed with vrzirn (not about the tooth rot part) - Insurance is a 3rd party, not related to your dentist, doctor, any other professional you are dealing with. If they dont pay, that is between you and them, not your docs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">