• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting reports on CA marijuana possesion fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GrtWht

Ok, a little over a month ago I get caught with about a gram of Marijuana on me in Chico, CA. I am written up for 11357 (possesion of marijuana). This is my first time with a criminal offense on my record, and from what I have read, there is no other circumstances (ie. during a HS, etc.), where I other fines could be added on.

Now what has me worried is this. I've gone through the CA Penal code, and found out that the fine should be no more than $100 (plus payment plan fees?). But recently I've ran into a couple people who have been caught with the same crime. One of them showed me the end result from going to court which was a paper that had a "Fine" the judge was required to fill in, and in the space it was something around $400. Thid kid had way under an ounce, and was cited for the same crime I am. From what I understand the way court is handled is I basicaly show up, and then they ask if I want to plead guilty or non guilty. If I plead guilty and the judge gives me the $400 fine, I guess I'm stuck with it?

Is there any reason that a fine would be $400 (court fee's??).
How do I handle court? It says I must show up before Nov 5. (do I just go there at any time, sign in, and pay?)

ANY help/advice would be greatly appreciated (but keep in mind I am a poor college student, so lawyer, etc. is out of the picture).

If anyone who has been through this in CA could AIM me my SN is GrtWht88, and that would also be most helpfull.

CdwJava

They tack on court costs and other assessments. Only $100 is the fine for the offense. The rest is to compensate the courts and law enforcement for having to deal with you.

- Carl

G

GrtWht

CdwJava said:
They tack on court costs and other assessments. Only $100 is the fine for the offense. The rest is to compensate the courts and law enforcement for having to deal with you.

- Carl
So the court costs and other things are going to run up $350+, even without a public defender?

In the case of the person I talked to, the judge did not mention anything about court costs etc. Since he didn't have money to pay there he told him it would be a little extra for the playment pan. But there was a box where it just said "fine" and the judge wrote in $420 or so. Wouldn't they mention if they are going to add a bunch of stuff in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">