• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmc0806

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california

My husbands ex-wife is always keeping in touch with him, because their 2 kids are under my husband's custody (as stated in the divorce decree). His ex-wife kept asking about the household properties they had when they were together, from which, it is not stated in the divorce decree. Does the ex-wife has rights to get half of it even it is not stated in the paper? And also does she has the rights to file another case in US to get her kids since their divorce decree was filed & released outside US? What will be her rights then? Thank you very much!

LdiJ

jmc0806 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california

My husbands ex-wife is always keeping in touch with him, because their 2 kids are under my husband's custody (as stated in the divorce decree). His ex-wife kept asking about the household properties they had when they were together, from which, it is not stated in the divorce decree. Does the ex-wife has rights to get half of it even it is not stated in the paper? And also does she has the rights to file another case in US to get her kids since their divorce decree was filed & released outside US? What will be her rights then? Thank you very much!
Well technically, if their divorce decree is silent on the issue of marital property then under US law anything that they owned jointly would still be owned jointly for the most part. However since the divorce took place in another country only someone from that country can fully answer your question.

Its perfectly proper for her to be in contact with him since he has custody of their children. Unless her parental rights were terminated she still has the right to be involved with her children.

Yes, if her children are legal residents/citizens of the US, then she has the right to file for custody/visitation in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">