• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend from hell...HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pgaffer

What is the name of your state?

HELP ME BEFORE I PULL MY HAIR OUT :confused:

Two Claims:
1. Breach of verbal agreement relating to auto lease for a VW Beatle in Connecticut
2. Stolen property from “roommate” in Minneapolis :eek:

Claim #1
Ex-girlfriend, Abbey, did not have the credit to lease a new VW Beatle in 2002. I leased the car under my name and only my name. Abbey verbally agreed to make all payments and cover insurance, which she did up until a month ago. I would like to know if I would be able to successfully sue her for the remaining lease payments.

Additional background. I broke-up with Abbey January 2004. Between then and now, I have sent her many emails asking her to transfer the car into her name. She refused and disappeared with the car. When I found out she disappeared I became worried about the car and my legal liability to VW for any damages. As a result, I sent her an email stating I was concern about the status of the car and that I considered the car stolen but needed to check the laws first. In the same email, I told her I did not want the car back and only wanted to transfer the car into her name.

She returned the car to me in CT four weeks after my car stolen statement. She claims she didn't know what I would do next so she returned the car. She was kind enough to steal the license plates and registration papers when she returned the car. She has admitted to making all payment to date in a recent email. Thus, I believe I can prove there was a verbal agreement, the question is- did I terminate it or did she breach it? FYI - car was leased in FL and she now lives in NJ.

Claim #2
Abbey did not have credit to enter into an apartment lease in Minneapolis. I co-signed the apartment lease with her. Although I did not pay rent or live day-to-day in the apartment, I did send some of my belongings to the apartment, receive keys to the apartment, and made a couple weekend trips to the apartment. I was in the process of trying to relocate from Connecticut to the apartment. I broke up with Abbey in January 2004 (3 months into the lease). I attempted to negotiate the return of my belongings (including payment of debt owe to me by her) via email. She refused and then forged my name on an apartment lease termination notice and disappeared with my belongings and the car mentioned above. I would like to know if I would be able to successfully sue her for the value of ALL my belongings and the debt she owes me?

Additional background. In an email, Abbey admitted to owing me the majority of the debt and "taking" certain of my belongings, however, she claims she doesn’t have the money to pay me back (she was making over $80,000 in Minneapolis and I have a dozen credit card company offers with her name on it). She considers the key items she stole as “gifts”. The good news is I have the reciepts in my name for many of the key items. The bad news may be she can claim these were gifts because I didn't actually live there day-to-day or pay rent.

We have a history of living together:

State/Length/Lessees/Who paid lease pmts/Day-to-day residence
1. NY/1 year/Both/ Both (50/50)/Both
2. FL/2 year/Both/Abbey/Abbey
3. CT/3 months/Me/Me/Both
4. MN/3 months/Both/Abbey/Abbey

Please let me know if I can recover from my stupidity and the girlfriend from hell. Thanks !!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">