• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce settlement issue..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PK1569

What is the name of your state? Tennessee but the settlement and divorce was in Georgia...

In my divorce settlement my husband was ordered to continue to pay for my vehicle until paid off."It was a new car"...I recently totaled the car and the insurance is paying off the loan..He doesn't want to reinburse me the money so I can replace my vehicle..He thinks he's gotta out of the court order because the insurance is now paying off the loan for him and I'm left with no car...

The final settelment reads he's to make payments on my vehicle until the end of the lease and then he's to pay 6,000.00 at the end of the lease term for final payoff...I don't see how he's not accountable for this still....as it stands now he's free of the loan and I'm without a car...

The key word in the settlement may be solely...it reads THE HUSBAND AGREES TO PAY AND BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING DEPTS HOLDING THE WIFE HARMLESS THEREFROM.

I..2002 TOYOTA LEASE UNTIL THE END OF THE LEASE TERM

HUSBAND WILL PAY 6000,00 FOR TOYOTA LEASE TERMINATION AT THE END OF LEASE TERM

Last edited:

PK1569 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee but the settlement and divorce was in Georgia...

In my divorce settlement my husband was ordered to continue to pay for my vehicle until paid off."It was a new car"...I recently totaled the car and the insurance is paying off the loan..He doesn't want to reinburse me the money so I can replace my vehicle..He thinks he's gotta out of the court order because the insurance is now paying off the loan for him and I'm left with no car...

The final settelment reads he's to make payments on my vehicle until the end of the lease and then he's to pay 6,000.00 at the end of the lease term for final payoff...I don't see how he's not accountable for this still....as it stands now he's free of the loan and I'm without a car...

The key word in the settlement may be solely...it reads THE HUSBAND AGREES TO PAY AND BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING DEPTS HOLDING THE WIFE HARMLESS THEREFROM.

I..2002 TOYOTA LEASE UNTIL THE END OF THE LEASE TERM

HUSBAND WILL PAY 6000,00 FOR TOYOTA LEASE TERMINATION AT THE END OF LEASE TERM

This is an interesting situation in which you might want to ask the court for an opinion. I can see both sides to this but the one I lean to more is the one he has taken. I agree if your divorce decree says he is soley responsible for the loan then he is. He is not responsible for the vehicle or what happens to the vehicle nore have you mention if there was any clause about an accident witht he vehicle (which I doubt there was). With both the vehicle and the loan no longer being an issue it would appear he has met his obligations for the fullfillment of the vehicle. Maybe a safety net would have been; he is responsible for paying you directly XXX amount of money which should go towards the car and a final ballon payment of xxx on this date. This way ther e is a financial obligation to you and not the loan.

P

PK1569

Thanks Bulldog....My attorney is trying to get a revision to the order where he pays me directly...I appreciate your time and advice...

We were married 14 years and in the Air Force...I gave up all rights to his retirement fund "which by law I was entitled to" and alimony payments because he was paying for my car..It just can't be right now that he gets the insurance money to pay off the loan and I get left with nothing..If need be I'll go back to court....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">