• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guilty by association?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

guiltybyass

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I was at a party where underage drinking was occuring. There were several young people that were at least 21 years old. The local police came at about 10 oclock. For a while nobody let them in but eventually a couple kids decided they wanted to leave. When they did some other kids decided to block the door. This upset the kids who wanted to leave so they called the police which gave them reasonable doubt to enter the house. They broke the window of the back door and entered the house. To this point I was not a part of any of these activities. The police separated the group into those over 18 and those under 18. They said that everyone over 18 will be charged with corruption of minors. Being 20, I was in the over 18 line. The police took my name, address, phone number, and social security number. And then let me leave. My question is can I get in any trouble for what happened. I was not personally drinking nor was I given a breathalyzer. I do not see how I can be held responsible for furnishing alcohol when I can not buy it myself.

Thanks for any help,
guilty by association

CdwJava

guiltybyass said:
I was at a party where underage drinking was occuring.
Oops.

This upset the kids who wanted to leave so they called the police which gave them reasonable doubt to enter the house. They broke the window of the back door and entered the house.
Actually, it gave them reasonable suspicion (reasonable cause) to make entry.

To this point I was not a part of any of these activities.
You were inside a party with alcohol and good times and you were NOT partaking? Wow. You are a better man than I was at your age.

The police separated the group into those over 18 and those under 18. They said that everyone over 18 will be charged with corruption of minors. Being 20, I was in the over 18 line. The police took my name, address, phone number, and social security number. And then let me leave. My question is can I get in any trouble for what happened.
Yes. You can. Whether you WILL get in trouble or not is the question.

I was not personally drinking nor was I given a breathalyzer. I do not see how I can be held responsible for furnishing alcohol when I can not buy it myself.
When you have a party where there are adults (you) and children (the under 18 crowd), the adults can be held responsible when the minors are encouraged or permitted to perform bad or injurious acts.

You probably won't have to answer for it, but, it IS possible.

Remember - if you see kids at a party, it is time to run!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">