• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Medical Discharge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KGB112

What is the name of your state?LA

My friend has been in the USAF for almost 3 yrs. Well recently she has been having trouble w/ her chest. She had childhood asthma but nowadays it is very mild. I believe that it may very well still be detectbale though. She went into the Dr's office, for a smoking related cough, they went ahead and did a chest xray to determine whether or not she had asthma. The results are unknown. But they may very well reval her asthma.

I know that alot of cases of asthma are reported and dishcraged but thats normally w/in a few months of enlistment and the militray gives them an entry level separation.

My question is, what will they do to her if they found 0out she has asthma, considering she's been in almost 3 years? Will she been treated any difrrently than what most entry level seprated people get as far as punishments ect.?

BTW she has no adult documentation of her asthma. Only pediatirc records that may reveal her diagnosis. Are the pediatric records still obtainable and will the military seek them?

rmet4nzkx

KGB112 said:
What is the name of your state?LA

My friend has been in the USAF for almost 3 yrs. Well recently she has been having trouble w/ her chest. She had childhood asthma but nowadays it is very mild. I believe that it may very well still be detectbale though. She went into the Dr's office, for a smoking related cough, they went ahead and did a chest xray to determine whether or not she had asthma. The results are unknown. But they may very well reval her asthma.

I know that alot of cases of asthma are reported and dishcraged but thats normally w/in a few months of enlistment and the militray gives them an entry level separation.

My question is, what will they do to her if they found 0out she has asthma, considering she's been in almost 3 years? Will she been treated any difrrently than what most entry level seprated people get as far as punishments ect.?

BTW she has no adult documentation of her asthma. Only pediatirc records that may reveal her diagnosis. Are the pediatric records still obtainable and will the military seek them?
Whille there was a time when Asthma kept people out of the military because of the risk, the enlistment rules have changed in recent years, because many people suffer childhood asthma wich resolves by adulthood. So if the asthma was resolved by age 13 and your friend declared it upon enlistment, there may be no problem. However, you state that it is "mild" as an adult although there has been no medical care documented. If your friend is trying to be separated from the miliary, it is possible that may happen, a general discharge which may be under honorable or less than honorable. Did your friend, declare to the recruiter that they had childhood asthma, this may make a big difference in what happens.

Smoking with any history of asthma is asking for trouble, symptoms severe enough to require medical care suggest something else might be happening and I suggest your friend get tested for Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency as this genetic disorder if they have it may be factored into any decision regarding potential separation. Testing is free and confidential and history of asthma and current problems usggest testing. http://www.alphaone.org/

What ever, your friend needs to stop smoking.

K

KGB112

No she did not tell the recruiter about the asthma.....So obviously, the military doesnt know.

Would the military be able to obtain the pediatric medical records? Are pediatric records still available even though its been 5 or so years?

Smoking with any history of asthma is asking for trouble, symptoms severe enough to require medical care suggest something else might be happening and I suggest your friend get tested for Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency as this genetic disorder if they have it may be factored into any decision regarding potential separation. Testing is free and confidential and history of asthma and current problems usggest testing. http://www.alphaone.org/
Thats some good info.....Ill be sure to pass it along

K

KGB112

Another question....

Would it be better to admit up front if she has had a history of asthma or could there be a chance of it not being discovered....

She doesnt want to get out of the military....and the asthma has not affected her duties what so ever.....so do u think it may be possible that they wont look into her pediatric records....and are the pediatric records still available even though she's 23?

Also....Can anyone tell me the process froim when they find out to when thay actually discharge her?

Last edited:

iamjoe

Would this make a good case?

I was born with asthma and let my recruiter know that. He had me lie to get in, but eventally my asthma got in the way of my training and I was hospitalized several times. Eventally I confessed to having asthma. I was given minimal limitations as far as anything physical and was pending for a discharge. After doing nothing but cleaning the barracks for over a month I was finally discharged w/ an EPTS.

Since my recruiter told me to lie, and told me that my asthma would not be a problem, would I be eligable for any sort of benefits?

Whille there was a time when Asthma kept people out of the military because of the risk, the enlistment rules have changed in recent years, because many people suffer childhood asthma wich resolves by adulthood. So if the asthma was resolved by age 13 and your friend declared it upon enlistment, there may be no problem. However, you state that it is "mild" as an adult although there has been no medical care documented. If your friend is trying to be separated from the miliary, it is possible that may happen, a general discharge which may be under honorable or less than honorable. Did your friend, declare to the recruiter that they had childhood asthma, this may make a big difference in what happens.

What ever, your friend needs to stop smoking.

SHORTY LONG

I was born with asthma and let my recruiter know that. He had me lie to get in, but eventally my asthma got in the way of my training and I was hospitalized several times. Eventally I confessed to having asthma. I was given minimal limitations as far as anything physical and was pending for a discharge. After doing nothing but cleaning the barracks for over a month I was finally discharged w/ an EPTS.

Since my recruiter told me to lie, and told me that my asthma would not be a problem, would I be eligable for any sort of benefits?
First, you are replying to a thread/post that is going on four years in being old. Normally, after 30 days if the original poster has not replied, then it is old, thus requires one to start a new thread/post.

About being eligible for any kind of benefits depends on many factors; one especially is that you need to be in for at least 180 days. You can take your DD214 to any Veteran's Service Organization that has Veterans Service Officers who can help you free of charge in seeing if in fact you may or may not be eligible for benefits but, may be eligible for other kind of Veteran related Services. Look in your Telephone Book for Veterans Service Organizations and go see them personally for yourself as to whither or not you are eligible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">