• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmora58741

What is the name of your state? Texas-I got Divorced in 1995. My husbands family had a history of child molestation. My ex husband did not dispute this. We purchased a house that we had lived together in about nine years, there was about 3,000. of equity. He was wanting 10,000 out of the house. I was wanting him to keep our kids away from his family, his sister was being charged with molestation charges at the time and his father had raped his older sister. I agreed to pay the 10,000. if he agreed to not take the kids around his family. He agreed, the first week he had the children he took them to his parents house. He continued to this in violation of our decree. I was broke had no way to take him back to court, eventually he just disappeared. He moved, I had no way of contacting him. I accumulated a lot of medical bills that he was responsable for half of. My kids never heard from him and now he has heard I remarried and he wants his 10,000. A lawyer sent me a letter giving me 5 days to comply with the divorce decree. I have at this point ignored the letter. My divorced decree does not reference each of our verbal agreements one to the other, however I can get sworn statements from to of his friends stating the agreement. Is there a statue of limitations on these medical bills? Even though I had no way to contact him. Our divorce decree stated he needed to give me and the court current address. I checked with the court and they had no current address either. The divorce decree reads I am to pay him 10,000. upon the event of one of the following.....my son turns 18, I move in with a non related male or I get married. Would there be a statue of limitations on this 10,000. I moved in with my current husband 8 years ago. My ex husband knew this and that is why he stoped coming to visit his children. Also, if I do have to pay this money what will happen to me if I dont have the money? Also, he did not help with a dime to send our oldest son to college nor did he pay child support for him. Can I make sure he pays for our youngest son, if not college at least support?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

The ONLY issue here is what is listed in the divorce decree. NOT the verbal agreement.

If you owe him $10,000 per the decree then you'll have to pay it. If he owes for unpaid medical and/or arrears for child support, then he'll have to pay that.

The important point here is, WAS there a support order in place for the oldest child? If not, then it's not recoverable now.

Get an attorney to handle this.

dmora58741

Is there a statue of limitations on the medical bills? Yes, the decree reads he was to pay half of the medical. I had no way of getting a hold of him to give him these bills. Also in my decree it states that if either of us were had property or money we did not disclose it autmatically became the property of the other party. I have a bank statement of his that I knew nothing about showing he had 8,980 in a bank account and company in another city with his girlfriend prior to our seperation/ divorce. Is there a statue of limitations on that?

BelizeBreeze

Take all of this to a local attorney. Normally the divorce decree does not have an attached SOL but your state may be completely screwed up.

nextwife

Also, if this was GFs money and she simply added his name to her account, then your efforts may fall short regarding a claim against half this account.

Last edited:

dmora58741

No the money was his, the buisness they hide and put it in her name, but the money was his because I got a copy of the 1099. His name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">