• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

entitled to retirement pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

java247

What is the name of your state?divorced in washington state,married 16yrs ,i've sinced remarried. am i still entitled to a % of exhusbands retirement pay? the final decree says "the wife shall retain her proprtionate share of the husbands disposable military retired pay in accordance with applicable public laws and military regulations."

Last edited:

VR_Hunter

java247 said:
What is the name of your state?divorced in washington state,married 16yrs ,i've sinced remarried. am i still entitled to a % of exhusbands retirement pay? the final decree says "the wife shall retain her proprtionate share of the husbands disposable military retired pay in accordance with applicable public laws and military regulations."
The point of getting a percentage of his retirement pay was to help you live. Now you are remarried. What makes you think you should continue to get a percentage since you now have someone else to take care of you?

Now to answer your question. Yes, according to the Uniformed Services Former Spouses' Protection Act (USFSPA) you will continue to get your percentage of his retirement pay "to reward you for being a supportive spouse during his military career".

Obviously I don't agree with the USFSPA ruling, but the law says you can still have it. You may be one of the few who deserve it, but there are many out there that do not.

Last edited:

java247

i never collected any portion of his retirement pay at any time. by the way he's remarried too. i never pursued it because "he "said i wasn't entitled. thanks for your answer

vegaman

VR Hunter you are wrong

The point of spousal support is to help with her income until she is remarried.

The military pension is recognized as property in all 50 states and she should pursue it. In young military marriages it is the only asset they have and as a veteran and former spouse myself - there are a lot of career sacrifices that are made when you are married to a military member.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">