• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very noisy neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nutmegstate

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
For the past 5 months I have been dealing with noisy neighbors upstairs. We both moved in at approximately the same time. They have 2 children that are constantly running around, they have wood floors and the the noise that it makes in our unit is very loud. I have spoken to and written to the parents about the running around and how it wakes me up every morning at about 6:30 AM, including weekends. I have complained to the Condo Board, written letters to them as well. One of the members came to my house and heard the noise and agreed it was loud. They have not stopped making noise, running around, screaming excessively. I have called the police and the situation still has not changed. I have called the parents numerous times. I maintain a daily log with time stamp of the incidents and I record the noises we hear as well.

What else can I do about this?

nutmegstate

Thanks for the advice. I wish we could move, but our mortgage states that we must stay for one year. Also, we cannot rent the unit for at least a year. We will have a hard time selling the unit because prospective buyers will hear the running, yelling and pounding above the master bedroom and not bid on the unit.

nextwife

There also exist a number of first time buyer programs, with grants, etc to assist with downpayments or closing costs that require a payback if sold before the required occupancy period ends.

rutica

What does your condo rules say about required carpeting? The condo board could make them carpet their unit and that could cut down on the noise.

Also, when the condo member visited your unit, since they agreed the noise was loud, what did they say would be done?

Attending a condo board meeting would be a good idea. Let them know ahead of time that you are coming so they can put your issue on the agenda.

Keep us posted on what happens.

nutmegstate

Update

The condo board member stated that since there are no rule regarding this matter, since the condos are fairly new, that we must call the neighbors when the running around gets too loud in our unit. Also, he told them that they should consider getting carpeting, they replied that they cannot afford carpeting. Currently, some days the running is so bad that we either call the guardhouse, who in turn calls them to let them know or we bang on our ceiling so that they know it's a bit loud, that tends to work better. The board would like to mandate owners to have carpeting on the second floor, however all the current owners would be "grandfathered" and not required. I will keep you posted.

HomeGuru

nutmegstate said:
The condo board member stated that since there are no rule regarding this matter, since the condos are fairly new, that we must call the neighbors when the running around gets too loud in our unit. Also, he told them that they should consider getting carpeting, they replied that they cannot afford carpeting. Currently, some days the running is so bad that we either call the guardhouse, who in turn calls them to let them know or we bang on our ceiling so that they know it's a bit loud, that tends to work better. The board would like to mandate owners to have carpeting on the second floor, however all the current owners would be "grandfathered" and not required. I will keep you posted.
**A: I find it hard to believe that there are "no rules"...read your
CC&R's.....specifically the House Rules.

nutmegstate

No Rules

There are no rules, there are rules for the older part of the condo development (built in 1987) that I live in. The rules for the older development do not include my building (built in 2000). From what I understand the board cannot enforce anything until it has rules, and it currently does not have rules for our building. I think that I should get a lawyer and sue the board?

CdwJava

How would suing the board - apparently a body that has no control over the situation - do anything for you? Chances are that suit would be tossed before it even got started.

If you have a suit against anyone, it would be the people above you. And even that might be iffy.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">