• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

e-mailed offer letter OK?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGA

What is the name of your state? NJ

I've recently been offered a new job. The offer letter was e-mailed to me, not snail mailed and I was just wondering if it matters legally. I'm assuming it doesn't since I don't think offer letters are valid contracts anyway, but just want to be sure before I quit my current job.

JETX

CGA said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

I've recently been offered a new job. The offer letter was e-mailed to me, not snail mailed and I was just wondering if it matters legally. I'm assuming it doesn't since I don't think offer letters are valid contracts anyway, but just want to be sure before I quit my current job.
Was this a document that was attached to an email, or simply a statement made IN an email???
In any case, unless the letter clearly stated that it was a contract, it is simply an 'offer'. If you are interested, I would simply contact them and agree or agree to discuss further. And until such time as both you and your potential employer actually sign an employment contract stating otherwise, you can still be terminated at any time.... for any reason.

Beth3

A job offer sent via e-mail is no more nor no less valid than an offer sent via snail mail. Legally, there is no difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">