• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife is Pro Se

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benzwick2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Washington

I have finally completed our divorce, but my ex took us through a court trial so she could "get me on the stand". She represented herself and I had a lawyer. She was constantly dragging us into court before the trial for motions to get temporary custody of the children back. Now that the final judgment has been made and custody decided in my favor, she refused to sign the decree and has decided to continue to take us back to court for reconsideration. Is there anyway that I can get her to stop this behavior?

I know that she does it so that I will have to pay extra money to my attorney. The court has already awarded me $2,000 in attorney fees because of this type of behavior, but it only comes out of her portion of my pension.

JETX

benzwick2 said:
Is there anyway that I can get her to stop this behavior?
As long as she has any legal basis for her claims, it is unlikely that the court will intervene into her rights to pursue litigation. What EXACTLY did your attorney say when you asked him/her this question.

benzwick2

I cannot remember her exact words, but the idea was basically the same as you have just stated. I just wanted to hear it again from someone else to be sure that there might not be SOME way to get this to stop. I'm still not sure that I understand why she would have a legal right to continue to hassle me through the court system over and over for the same thing. I guess that my only recourse is to represent myself after the court has seen me a few more times and my position has been reviewed enough for me to feel safe without an attorney. Then she will not be able to cost me any extra money and may decide to give up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">