• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

had temporary custody for grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
For over five years I have taken care of my granddaughter who is now 10 years old. Before this , I basically raised her, but asked for a noterized paper from her mother to give some legal back up .
My daughter is/was an alcoholic and sometime drug user, and knew she was incapable of raising her daughter.
She now wants her daughter to live with her and her new boyfriend, my granddaughter is traumatized at this developement as she is uncomfortable with the living situation and enviroment. The boyfriend is still married, he is not a problem drinker , and seems to be ok but qusetionable behavior around sexual issue making suggestive comments to and about my daughter only, in front of my granddaughter.My daughter has attempted to tone down her drinking, but she has questionable abilities to parent at this point.
My granddaughter has done so well living with me, and this would be such a radical change and borders on inappropiate, but probably not abusive.
I am on disability and will be 62, but have been very active in the care I have given.
Thank you
Joal :(

LdiJ

joal said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
For over five years I have taken care of my granddaughter who is now 10 years old. Before this , I basically raised her, but asked for a noterized paper from her mother to give some legal back up .
My daughter is/was an alcoholic and sometime drug user, and knew she was incapable of raising her daughter.
She now wants her daughter to live with her and her new boyfriend, my granddaughter is traumatized at this developement as she is uncomfortable with the living situation and enviroment. The boyfriend is still married, he is not a problem drinker , and seems to be ok but qusetionable behavior around sexual issue making suggestive comments to and about my daughter only, in front of my granddaughter.My daughter has attempted to tone down her drinking, but she has questionable abilities to parent at this point.
My granddaughter has done so well living with me, and this would be such a radical change and borders on inappropiate, but probably not abusive.
I am on disability and will be 62, but have been very active in the care I have given.
Thank you
Joal :(
What is your question? I will tell you though that your notarized document has no legal validity.

joal

question

The paper was notarized so that I could obtain medical care and for her school. My question is, is there a possibility of getting legal custody?
I have no idea of how to go about even trying, nor do I have the money.
I did put my granddaughter in therapy for short time when my daughter had her and this boyfriend was abusive .
joal

LdiJ

joal said:
The paper was notarized so that I could obtain medical care and for her school. My question is, is there a possibility of getting legal custody?
I have no idea of how to go about even trying, nor do I have the money.
I did put my granddaughter in therapy for short time when my daughter had her and this boyfriend was abusive .
joal
Yes its possible that you may be able to get legal custody. Particularly since the child has been in your care for so long. Its also possible to do it without an attorney, however that would be much more difficult. See if Legal Aid in your area can help you.

joal

imput please?

Thank you for your reply, it gives me hope, I can apply to legal aid, yet the waiting list is years long.
Is there steps I can take in the meantime, any legal steps to start the process?
Thank you
Joal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">