• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Association with only two units?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beachcomer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WA

We have recently made an offer on a new construction ocean front townhouse with a shared wall with another like townhome. At the time of the offer, there was no legal documentation available on how the common wall would be handled, and CC&Rs for the building, property ownership of the land, etc. We have contigencies in the offer regarding review and approval of legal description, title, shared property ownership to name a few.

I've asked for the docs and was told that the builder will need to "condo-ize" the townhomes. They gave me a sample set of the condo CC&Rs and declaration, but they are for a larger development from the same builder. When I scale everything I see in those docs down to two units, none of the process seems to work in cases of dispute and quorum to name two. I have owned condos before, served on boards of HOAs and am concerned that the two unit association is not workable. My gut tells me that associations need numbers to mitigate the jerks in the crowd.

Does anyone have examples of this working? We *really* like the place, but don't want to do anything stupid. We will seek counsel of an attorney locally, but i would like to hear if anyone has examples of this model working as a condo association.

Thanks!!

B

beachcomer

thanks for the follow up. quick question: in the "condex" on the east coast, do they have 50/50 voting on the duplexes, or do they run say 52/48 between the units. i read this on a different posting but wanted to confirm.

also, i'm assuming there is a difference in sales price if the units have different voting percentages. unclear if any of this will work under WA condo laws and unclear if we even want to push the envelope on this style of ownership for what will be a vacation home, but i wanted to get a handle on the ways this does work in other areas.

thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">