• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA and Tree Removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tvranicar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Florida

I live in a neighborhooed that has a HOA and strict covenants regarding tree removal. The covenants state, with no exception, that no tree can be removed without expressed written consent from the ARB. If a resident removes a tree without consent, they will be fined $50 per inch in diameter of the trunk measured from 6 inches above the ground, not to exceed $2,000.

This covenant has always been fine and understood by all, until our recent bout with 4 successive hurricanes. Several homeowners removed trees on their property and claim that the trees were removed as a safety precaution.

Is there any law that would supercede our covenants in a situation of an impending hurricane? What if the tree was removed and the hurricane never even approached? Also, what remedy would the property owners have against the Board/HOA if the covenant was not enforced as written? Finally, could a recipient of a past fine claim that they removed the tree under security reasons, and therefore should not have been fined?

Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

I know of no law that supersedes your covenants (I know no Florida law) but I suggest that the HOA get those covenants and restrictions amended. Is that a possibility?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">