• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital Acquired Infection from IV Needle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

November2004

What is the name of your state? Minnesota....
Recently I visited a local hospital ER where I was administered an IV before an MRI. I ended up with an bad infection and phlebitis from the IV needle. What are my rights here? How did I get this infection and phlebitis? The doctor told me that it is not common from an IV. Please, I need some advice.

ellencee

November2004
You could have developed an infection and phlebitis from a variety of sources and causes.

It could have been the choice of the site and the size of the chosen vein. The phlebitis could be a direct result of the needle's cannula's being too large for the chosen vein, or that the cannula lodged against a valve in the vein or tore a valve in the vein.

The infection could be from the same mechanism as above if the contrast or fluids extravasated into the tissues or the infection could be a result of the phlebitis.

Your records should state the site and the size of the needle used and the condidtion of the site when the IV was d/c'd.

It would help if you had pictures of the site at all stages of this process.

Whether or not you can recover any damages depends on the extent of the damages and any costs you incurred as a direct result of the damages.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">