• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 week classes??? want new judge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debra-kay

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Can anyone tell me if I am able to ask for a new judge?
My husband and I are doing doing our own divorce and we agree on everything including the kids. At the preliminary hearing (civil court) the judge spoke of the class that we would be taking then also spoke of a 16 week class that there is now also available but he has never forced anyone to take it and wasn't going to start now. But...he did. Every staurday morning for 16 weeks :eek: WITH the kids....7, 13, and 16. We feel this should not of happened. There was no fighting in court between us, and the judged explained several times that this was not to help get us back together. We've wrote to the judge asking him to reconsider but he wouldn't. The stress of the divorce is bad enough especially with us both still living under the same roof (not financially ready yet to move out) but this even puts more a strain on things. It limits the kids's activities and practices on sat and I even work 3rd shift and don't get home till sat morning.

So is there any hope in getting a new judge or being able to take it a step further to the supreme court, or are we stuck :confused: And if so how do we go about obtaining a new one?
Thanks for any help

Oh btw this judge is also my sons judge and was before we filed before divoce. He pulled a stupid teenage prank along with some other kids on their teachers house. Small indiana town so is this maybe classified as some sort of conflict even with the judge??

Deb

BelizeBreeze

Through all of this rant you mentioned NOT ONCE what type of classes these were. Do you think that MIGHT have a bearing on the answer? :rolleyes:

D

debra-kay

Right Relations

The 16 week classes are called Right Relations, and the normal marriage classes are called Families in transition. FIT is normally required by law here in Indiana to take before a divorce is honored.

BelizeBreeze

There is no requirement that the classes be ordered ONLY for couples in contested divorces. Take the classes, be done with the divorce and quit your whinning.

These classes are more for the child than you anyway. Or did you forget there's a child who is being torn apart during all of your games?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Three kids. I actually think these sorts of classes are important and wish that they were required for all divorces with kids. I think that the relationship between my ex and myself may have turned out very differently than it has if we'd had to take this sort of class.

D

debra-kay

Stealth2..............EXCUSE ME????? I'm not whinning. And who do you think you are anyway to talk to me that way. The first post I wrote in this forum was not a rant, I was explaining my situation. I was being polite unlike somepeople...and yeah now I'm not. Games gimme a break!!!
This is NOT a contested divorce.
I've been married for over 17 years, and we have been contemplating divorce for more than 5, problems since year 8. We have worked hard in our marriage to keep everything good cause that is how I was brought up. The classes are good yes,..I'm not complaining about taking them what I am not happy about is why he is so insistant on such a long program which isn't the norm. We just want to get all this over with, extending it will not help. We've already done that. And I already know and have been told my 16 year old son will not be happy when he has to miss most of his show choir practices or wrestling meets.
We love our kids, he as much as I do, they do come first, always. They seem to be taking it ok on the outside anyway, they have went through us being seperated once before for 6 mos. They know there are problems. We don't fight like children like maybe some people do during a divorce, in fact I'm leaving him with his full retirement and no spouse support, we are being complete adults about this.................why don't you try it!

D

debra-kay

Ooops sorry stealth

That post was for Belizebreeze not for stealth sorry....Stealth was being polite

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
debra-kay said:
That post was for Belizebreeze not for stealth sorry....Stealth was being polite
It's lucky you caught that before I had a chance to respond, because my response would have been way less polite than anything BB wrote.

D

debra-kay

Yes glad I caught that too. I would of felt awful going off on someone like that who didn't deserve it.

D

Dixiechick91910

Why is it that when people post on these boards for advice and someone doesn't like what they say, they are attacked by others opinions.

Is there any other day of the week that these classes are offered?

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">