• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA divorce - she quit her job and I'm self employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

omghelp

CA divorce - she quit her job and I'm self employed. She's unreasonable & threatening

I am in California.

I have been married for about 8 months. I am 50% partner in a business that I started about 3 years ago. I've worked my arse off for my business. With this impending divorce, I'm worried that she may be able to take part of my business. This would be disastrous. I have relied on my business for the past 3 years as my sole source of income. I dropped out of college to pursue it. My wife is not a US citizen and does not yet have her work permit or travel permit (She came to the US on a working H-1 visa). She has a college degree and until a few days ago had a full time job. She quit her job and immediately ran out to buy a new $200 pair of pants (as if that were going to help our financial situation). She claims that she was being treated poorly at her job. She has complained about it for a long time. Her behaviour however, is not responsible and we have been having a lot of fights lately. She refuses to see a marriage counselor, saying that I am the only one who needs to see a counselor. I asked her if she'd mind living apart for a while and her response was basically "If you try to divorce me, you will be ruining my life and I will ruin yours. Just think of what I can do to you and your business." In one previous argument, she threatened to call the police and say that I beat her (which is totally not true). I don't know what to do! Now that she's jobless, if I divorce her, will I have to pay alimony for her? Will she get a share of the business? What can I do about her trying to screw my business or lie to the police? Thankfully, we do not own a home and we do not have kids. We live in an apartment. I think she is probably worried about not getting her green card or having to leave the country if we get divorced. I need out but I don't want to lose everything I have in the process.

Please help!

Last edited:

nextwife

Alimony for an 8 MONTH marriage is very unlikely. She may possibly be entitled to whatever increase in value occured in half of your share of the business during the marriage. And half of any other marital assets or debts.

D

Dixiechick91910

Can you trust you business partner to take 100% of the business until you get your divorce? As for her threats, please document every thing she says. File for divorce and be done with her...maybe she will have to move back to where she came from. Good luck to you!

stephenk

8 month marriage is worth squat. She won't get any interest in your business
your best bet is to immediately consult with a family law attorney. now is not the time to play it cheap.

BethM

You might want to think about getting the hell out of that apartment also. She can't accuse you of abuse if you are not there. I'd definitely put some distance between yourself and her.

O

omghelp

thanks all

thanks for your help, everyone. I plan to talk with a lawyer today. Yeah, moving out would be a good idea but now that she's quit her job, she's home all day. I know if I tried to move out while she's here, there would be a huge fight. I think I'll find a new place and then wait until she goes somewhere for a day, then move while she's gone. I don't know what her problem is. If she weren't happy, I'd want her to do what makes her happy, including moving out, divorce, whatever. She wants me to stay with her despite the way she treats me and despite my unhappiness. How could anybody who loves you want you to be unhappy? Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :)

T

TracyMT

I wish you luck and hope that everything works out for you. For future use, you and your partner may want to consider incorporating your business. You can usually do it yourself, and your assets will be protected. You can contact the IRS for info.
Another note, I agree with everyone else - move OUT. Call the police to be there, if you want to. Then file for divorce before she does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">