• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket - No Front Plates, Ca

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LARL43

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I recieved a parking ticket for not having a front license plate. I was only issued 1 license plate when I purchased the car. The car was purchased new, 1 year ago in California. Is it mandatory in California to have 2 plates? I was only issued 1. What should I do? Thanks.

RobertMiller

No front plates in California

Thank you for your posting, and the opportunity to serve you further.

The answer you seek is contained within section 5200 of the California Vehicle Code -- that section states that when two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

As you can see by the wording, there are defenses, including a showing that the California DMV never issued two plates (which occurs on some special order foreign import vehicles, and occurred on older vehicles before 5200 was enacted).

I hope that this information helps.

Robert Miller, Attorney at Law

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

LARL43 said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I recieved a parking ticket for not having a front license plate. I was only issued 1 license plate when I purchased the car. The car was purchased new, 1 year ago in California. Is it mandatory in California to have 2 plates? I was only issued 1. What should I do? Thanks.
Of course, since the DMV has regularly issued two plates for 30 years or so, it might be tough to show that they sent you only one plate. Were the plates mailed to you?

- Carl

There have been such questions in a roadshow column in the SJ Merc News. Every time the columnist tells the motorist to unscrew the rear licene plate and check again. Nine times out of ten, they find both (very thin) plates on the rear. Have you checked that out yet?

racer72

tryingtoplease said:
There have been such questions in a roadshow column in the SJ Merc News. Every time the columnist tells the motorist to unscrew the rear licene plate and check again. Nine times out of ten, they find both (very thin) plates on the rear. Have you checked that out yet?
A co-worker of mine did the exact same thing a few months ago. Said he never saw a cop laugh so hard.

L

LARL43

Thanks

Thanks for your help.

The plate was mailed to me, and there was only 1 sent.

I will check that a second one is not attached to the rear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">