• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

childbirth-pelvic floor damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LMG

What is the name of your state? California

I have pelvic floor dmage as a result of a Dr.'s insistence that I have a vaginal delivery, despite my requests and the obvious need for surgical intervention. This Dr. forced me to push for 6 hours and I have witnesses to the fact that I begged for a C-section. My son was finally delivered via forceps when his heart rate started dropping dangerously. He is healthy but I am a mess!

I have pelvic floor damage which is like a hernia (called a rectocoele-basically my rectum is bulging into my vagina-yuck!) which requires surgery. This problem is has negative affects on my sex life, my ability to exercise, which affects my weight, my bowel function and my morale. While insurance will pay for the surgery I cannot have it done because I will not be able to lift my son for 4-6 weeks and I will not be able to do certain parts of my job.

Compensation in the amount of about $5,000 would allow me to take time off of work and to hire help to take care of the baby for 4 to 6 weeks during my recovery from surgery to correct the rectocoele.

I have talked to one attorney in my area who says he does not want to take my case because things like this happen all the time during childbirth and it would be difficult to prove that C-section would have been better...He suggested I ask for a (relatively) small amount of compensation ( like ask for $10,000 and hope for $5,000) by writing a letter. He said maybe they would settle rather than go to court because even if I don't have a case, he thinks they might want to avoid the hassle and costs of going to court. Does this sound like it would work?

If so, who do I write this letter to? the doctor practices in my former OB/GYN office-should I send it to her or to the hospital where I delivered? I have already sent the hospital a formal complaint letter. Should I keep trying to find an attorney who might be interested in this case?

FYI - rectocoele can happen at any time giving birth. You could have pushed for 20 minutes, and you STILL could have gotten rectocoele.

Just because it took you 6 hours to deliver - does not mean that that caused your rectocoele.

My sister had the same thing happen to her with her first pregnancy, and she only pushed for *maybe* an hour. She lived with the rectocoele for OVER 3 years, and just within the last 4 months - had the reconstructive surgery to fix ther rectocoele.

I personally don't know what it feels like, but from seeing my sister dealing with it - I know it is not a pleasant thing to go through. (After the surgery, she did say that she was in so much pain, she wished she wouldn't have done it.)

I do know though - that something like this is not the fault of the doctor, and can happen to anyone. I do not belive that sueing is an option. (Of course everyone has their own opinions.)

quokka

I'm sorry about your experience but more is likely to go wrong with a c/s than with a vaginal delivery. After my c/s, I couldn't move for weeks because the Drs sewed a nerve into my sutures. c/s complications are far more common than vaginal birth complications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">