• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Premature baby, resuscitation, perforated intestine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desireesun

What is the name of your state? North Carolina.

Exactly three years I was pregnant with my first baby, and had to go to the hospital in my 32nd week due to pain in stomach. The dr there diagnosed me with severe preclampsia and induced me so that I could deliver the baby. I was also given pain medication through an IV. I was induced around 2am, around 9am there was a shift change and the new nurse who came in to check me went and got the dr who said my baby's heartbeat was dropping and they would need to do an emergency c-section. By the time they took the baby out he was not breathing and he had to be resuscitated. Afterhe started breathing they took him to the NICU. 2 days later, when they introduced breast milk to him his belly distended and he was flown to another hospital where they had to do an ostomy. He was in the hospital for 3 months after which they closed up the optomy. He is a active boy now but VERY small for his age.
Here are my questions:
If I was under observation, how could they let a baby's heartbeat drop so much that they could not get him out in time and he had stopped breathing?
Also, (and this was pointed out by a dr in my family) at times, while resuscitating, pressure might have been applied hard which could lead to perforation.
I am still very shaken up by this birth. I want answers I did not get. Do you think my questions are justified? Am I thinking too much over this?

Thanks for your honest opinions,

D.

ellencee

desireesun
Exactly three years I was pregnant with my first baby,
Holy s***!

As for the rest of the events you described, I find no area of negligence or malpractice or anything that happened as a result of negligence or malpractice.
It appears that as events unfolded, the events were recognized in the early stages, intervention was appropriate and timely, and the end result is a happy, healthy child who will grow to normal size and live a normal life. What more could any mother want?

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">