• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical malpractice..wrongful death,negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mines2

What is the name of your state?Texas
My mother, 73 years old, was diagnosed with stage 1 of endometriosis cancer on 8/03 and was referred to a hospital where she was given tests and also told that she had an pulmonary AVM (abnormal vein mass).
Mother knew of this spot on her lung, had it for years and never gave her a problem. The first time she had ever been in a hospital was in 1998 for diverarticulitus was treated for 5 days with medication only and was cured.
This was her 2nd time in a hospital.
She had 7 children in her lifetime by midwife.
The assigned Dr. for the cancer gave mother the CHOICE complete hysterectomy,chemo or radiation. Mother chose Complete Hysterectomy.
The Dr. that consulted her about the AVM told Mother she needed to take care of the AVM after the complete hysterectomy as she could suffer a stroke
later on in years. But that she could go ahead and have the complete surgery hysterectomy.
Mother had the complete hysterectomy on 9/24 and she died on 9/25 due to middle cerebral artery stroke.
I feel I have a medical malpractice,wrongful death, breach of duty
I need advice on this and an EXCELLENT Malpractice attorney.
Do I have a case????

ellencee

mines2
The only AVM of which I have any knowledge or could find any resources on the subject is an Arterio-Venous Malformation, which is an abnormal vessel mass but significantly different than a cluster of vessels. An Arterio-Venous Malformation is an area where circulation does not follow normal pathways and is basically shunting between arteries (of small size) and veins (of small size), which deprives the tissue that is supposed to be getting circulation (oxygen and nutrients) from receiving those benefits. Clear as mud, right?

It is not unusual for a person with a pulmonary AVM to have no symptoms until an event signaling big trouble occurs.

Your mother needed the surgery ASAP to keep the cancer from progressing; she was still in that range considered "curable" or able to have the progression stopped.

Whoever, or whichever MD, cleared her pulmonary system for surgery probably should not have cleared her for general anesthesia and probably should have insisted on spinal anesthesia. I am not a surgeon, a pulmonologist, or an anesthesist; please keep that in mind!

If I can easily find articles by MDs that state a pulmonary AVM may, without a precipitating event, cause a stroke in 10-13% of all patients, then surely MDs who specialize in lung (pulmonary) function and diseases should know the risks of pulmonary AVMs.

It may go nowhere, but I suggest you make an appointment with a medmal attorney at your earliest convenience.

Best wishes,
EC

M

mines2

medical malpractice,wrongful death,negligence

I think I understand what you wrote.
The AVM (Abnormal vein mass) as the Dr. explained is a cluster of veins that bunched up and the blood goes around it somehow, yet the cluster is forming clots and that's what happened a solid clot was released after the surgery and embedded in her brain and the stoke Dr. explained he could not dissolve it with the stint because it was too solid.
The time factor of 7 a.m. thru 12 noon without assistance for the stroke had alot to do with it.
THanks, I am in the process of shopping for a good medical malpractice attorney.
By the way, the Dr. that consulted her on the AVM was not present at the surgery to monitor, nor did he instruct she be monitored after surgery.
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">