• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor refuses to go through with agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bklimski

What is the name of your state?Connecticut
I started planning a renovation and addition to my house and had an initial survey done to find the boundary markers. The markers on one side of my yard were closer to the house than I believed when I bought the property. I had always mowed up to a group of trees and shrubs at the back of the adjoining lot like the previous owner had, assuming that was where the boundary was, it is not, it is actually 9ft closer. I approached the neighbor at that time and asked if he would consider selling the land so that it would straighten out the line and provide me with more of a side yard after my renovation and he verbally agreed to at that time. It took 3-4 months and several thousand dollars to get new zoning maps and markers made up. I had also paid to have trees removed that were on both sides of the property line, which was agreed upon at that time as a good will gesture on my behalf. Now that I have all the paperwork ready he is refusing to go through with our agreement and is refusing to give any reason as to why. Do I have any legal recourse to get him to honor the original agreement, or is there some way I can legally take possesion of this property.

HomeGuru

bklimski said:
What is the name of your state?Connecticut
I started planning a renovation and addition to my house and had an initial survey done to find the boundary markers. The markers on one side of my yard were closer to the house than I believed when I bought the property. I had always mowed up to a group of trees and shrubs at the back of the adjoining lot like the previous owner had, assuming that was where the boundary was, it is not, it is actually 9ft closer. I approached the neighbor at that time and asked if he would consider selling the land so that it would straighten out the line and provide me with more of a side yard after my renovation and he verbally agreed to at that time. It took 3-4 months and several thousand dollars to get new zoning maps and markers made up. I had also paid to have trees removed that were on both sides of the property line, which was agreed upon at that time as a good will gesture on my behalf. Now that I have all the paperwork ready he is refusing to go through with our agreement and is refusing to give any reason as to why. Do I have any legal recourse to get him to honor the original agreement, or is there some way I can legally take possesion of this property.
**A: no, you have absolutely no recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">