• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension - He Closed Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BeenPatient

Illinois -

After our divorce was final, I mailed all the appropriate documentation to the Union Office to verify my new address of where I will need to be contacted once my ex-husband starts to recieve his pension, which I am entitiled to 50%. A couple of months ago, I got a statement stating the account had been closed and there was a "zero" balance. Now, in the court documents it states this clearly what I am entitled to. He has not retired, but I am not sure if this is the proper procedure to close an account after a divorce, if so, shouldn't I be made aware of where the money went (balance)? Shouldn't it continue to recieve some kind of interest, etc? Is there a "time frame", that if I don't do something about this now, that I will lose out? How long does a divorce agreement last?

Thanks in advance

O

oreilly72

I know the answer to this one.

Get an attorney, and since it's his fault you have to take him to court to get your due then he will be responsible for whatever your legal fees are.

Your attorney can subpoena the institution for records of whatever the final value was when he closed the account and took the cash. You'll be entitled to half.

Expect the hassle that comes with going to court, but also expect to win.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">