• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced and still getting screwed over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyn1125

What is the name of your state?Texas
I have been divorced for 6 months. My ex-husband is in the military overseas. I was awarded the furniture and other items that belonged to me while I was overseas with him. The other day I received an attachment listing the items that are going to be sent back to Texas to me. A majoritiy of the items I was awarded in the divorce are not being sent back. How do I get the money out of him for the items that were listed in the final divorce decree that are not getting sent back? Another question that I have is how do I get him to pay more than less the minimum on the credit cards payments that he charged up on his nightly affairs that he was also awarded to pay in the divorce?

Go back to court and ask for a modification to get cash value of the items, if you can, and ask the court to enforce the decree in regards the balance due. You may have to move for garnishment.

BethM

Call the JAG office and see if they have any suggestions for you. Don't hold your breath though as far as the military forcing him to do anything.

Your best bet is to go back to court for the modification. I learned the hard way with my military ex to always get a court order for a specific sum of money. If he doesn't pay up then you get the judge to sign an income withholding order, send it to Ohio to the payroll office and they will gladly garnish his wages. Good luck!!
Beth

O

oreilly72

The last poster has offered excellent advice. As and add on, please consider contacting his First Sergeant immediately with the situation. Most (and you know that not all are wonderful) will jump at making him do what is in that court order. If you manage to get your property this way, inspect it for damage. If he has destroyed anything, take pictures and take those to court to be awarded the value of replacement to what are legally your things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">