• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New House Built Next Door...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have a question about a situation that my mother is currently having.

My mother and step father bought a house back in Spring 2004. The people who lived in the house previously owned half an acre. When they put the house up for sale, they had their half acre divided into three lots, (one of which has the house on it.)

Seeing as my mother and step father could not afford all three lots, they just bought the house and lot (which was the middle of the three lots.)

Since they bought the house - the other two lots have been sold.

The lot on the right, will have a single story house for a man who is paralyzed.

The house on the left, which will have a 3 person family living there has pretty much been constructed, and they should be finished building by the new year.

The concern that my mother has, is that the house on the left that is almost finished, is sitting too high up. Meaning that the ground around the house slopes down, and causes flooding all over the yard.

She has mentioned this to the builders, and they stated that they would "try" to level it off, but so far nothing has been done.

After the house is done being built, and we find that they haven't corrected the problem, is there anything that my mother an step father can do legally? I know they don't want to be on bad terms with the new neighbors, but if the flooding of the yard keeps up, chances are that the next thing to flood will be the basement that they just had completely remodeled.
Any advice on what may need to be done about this?
Thanks!
- Kari

I am just a lowly Junior Member but I would say that the neighbor would not have the right to change the drainage pattern of the property. You probably should let your neighbor know in a Reg. letter that there could be a problem and that they may be responsible for damages because of the alteration of the natural (pre consturction) drainage. Better ask the top dogs ie Belizebreeze or Homeguru but don't get them mad they will have you thrown off of their website.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

After the house is done being built, and we find that they haven't corrected the problem, is there anything that my mother an step father can do legally? I know they don't want to be on bad terms with the new neighbors, but if the flooding of the yard keeps up, chances are that the next thing to flood will be the basement that they just had completely remodeled.
Any advice on what may need to be done about this?
Contact your city's building inspector and ask for them to study the grading for compliance.
If the slope grade is within an acceptable range, then your only other recourse is to contact a local RE attorney to contact the builders in your parents interest.

Ciarraine

BelizeBreeze said:
Contact your city's building inspector and ask for them to study the grading for compliance.
If the slope grade is within an acceptable range, then your only other recourse is to contact a local RE attorney to contact the builders in your parents interest.
The builders should at least have a sill fence in place.

Thanks so much for the reply. I will print out the responses and give them to my mother for future use if the problem is not fixed.

Thanks again!

- Kari

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">