• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I fire attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proxy

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My son was sent to jail and had 30 days to file the appeal. The attorney said to contact him and he would file it. I was not happy with the attorney in court as he did not say anything- so I went to a different attorney. The new attorney was paid 2500.00 to file the appeal. He never did. He went to see my son 1 time in jail and said he was working on his case. He said he needed an additional 2500.00 so I paid him. It has been over 8 months and he has done nothing. He has cancelled 7 visits he was supposed to make to my son in jail- the one time he did show he just chatted- never said a word about anything to do with his case- I have made weekly calls to his office trying to get a status report but cant get passed his secretary. I never signed any contract or agreement. Never got a receipt for the payments (although I have cancelled checks). He has done nothing at all. My neice called his office to set an appointment so we can work things out- she was told he wasnt accepting new clients- my neice stated that she was going to file a complaint against him. He visited my son the next day in jail and said for him to have my neice stop calling and harassing him- and that his case was over- and he was going to get his chance at a probation release that he is up for in 6 months. I guess I basically need a form letter or some type of correct wording that I can use to let him know he is fired and I want my money back. I have made every effort to resolve this with him but I am now getting a new lawyer- I need to make sure he knows he is fired and I want my money back! ANy help would be greatly appreciated. I do not know how far I can go with this- his father is the Sheriff and his grandfather was for 20 years before him! I am worried about some retaliation against my son- I now found out he is an entertainment attorney- why did he take my money to work on a criminal case?

Ask that he withdraw

Send a certified letter requiring a signature. This way he is sure to get it. Tell him that he is to submit a letter of withdraw to the courts, if anything is still outstanding as far as court matters. Also, tell him you would like a refund. Remember, he is entitled to what he actually worked for. Chances are he isn't likely going to give all of your money back, if any.
Submit a copy of this letter along w/ a separate letter to the courts indicating that you have requested he withdraw from the case. If you didn't hire him but your son did. Your son would have to do this as you cannot dismiss someone elses atty.
I think you should file a complaint against him w/ the ABA. Might not try to mention this in your letter to the atty. Maybe he would give your money back as to keep you from filing such a complaint. Couldn't hurt.

stevek3

proxy said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

My son was sent to jail and had 30 days to file the appeal. The attorney said to contact him and he would file it. I was not happy with the attorney in court as he did not say anything- so I went to a different attorney. The new attorney was paid 2500.00 to file the appeal. He never did. He went to see my son 1 time in jail and said he was working on his case. He said he needed an additional 2500.00 so I paid him. It has been over 8 months and he has done nothing. He has cancelled 7 visits he was supposed to make to my son in jail- the one time he did show he just chatted- never said a word about anything to do with his case- I have made weekly calls to his office trying to get a status report but cant get passed his secretary. I never signed any contract or agreement. Never got a receipt for the payments (although I have cancelled checks). He has done nothing at all. My neice called his office to set an appointment so we can work things out- she was told he wasnt accepting new clients- my neice stated that she was going to file a complaint against him. He visited my son the next day in jail and said for him to have my neice stop calling and harassing him- and that his case was over- and he was going to get his chance at a probation release that he is up for in 6 months. I guess I basically need a form letter or some type of correct wording that I can use to let him know he is fired and I want my money back. I have made every effort to resolve this with him but I am now getting a new lawyer- I need to make sure he knows he is fired and I want my money back! ANy help would be greatly appreciated. I do not know how far I can go with this- his father is the Sheriff and his grandfather was for 20 years before him! I am worried about some retaliation against my son- I now found out he is an entertainment attorney- why did he take my money to work on a criminal case?
Two points:

1) Physically go to his office and make an appointment to see him. No big deal. I believe you'll find that so many things in life can be simply resolved with calm face-to-face discussion. Based upon your post, I can sense that you've been driving your lawyers straight to the mental ward.

2) What is the difference if he practices entertainment law? He obviously also practices criminal law. Johnnie Cochran doesn't seem to have much problem with the two.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">