• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case against police department?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proxy

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I dont want to seem sue happy but I am so peeved that I want to do something-

MY husband was arrested for 2 warrants resulting from not paying a driving with no seatbelt ticket and a no insurance ticket in 1999. I bailed him out with a bondsman (the court did not accept the insuance proof I obtained from the insurance company stating it should have been in the vehicle when he was stopped.)

I bailed him out, he got a court date. We were making payments on the fines and he was to see the judge again. He became very ill and was in the hospital on and off for 5 months. At the time he was supposed to go back to court he was in the hospital- that time a total of 6 straight days. I called to bondsman and explained he was going to miss the court date- could I reschedule or appear for him- he said call the court- I contacted the court and they plainly said no.

He missed the court date and the court issued bench warrants. He was released from the hospital and the next day the bondsman came to the door and took him to jail. The bond guy was nice about it- he took all of the doctors discharge instructions along with the medications and dose amounts and gave them to the intake guard when he was booked. My husband said not to bail him out this time- he was scheduled to see the judge 6 days later and he didnt want me to spend money we didnt have. (I didnt mind the alone time- plus I knew where he was at)!!! LOL

On the 3rd day his cellmate called me and said I needed to bail him out- he had not gotten any medications since he was booked and the night before he was in so much pain that he screamed and cried all night and begged for medication. The response he recieved was for him to shut up and stop disturbing the other inmates or he would get 2 weeks added to his time. His cellmate also said they hit his knee with the nightstick through the bars. My husband is very ill- aside from being sick he was having a severe gout attack that was causing the pain. He had been taking prednisone which cant be stopped cold turkey- he was having severe withdrawl symptoms from that.

THe night before he was to see the judge they gave him 2 of his meds. He needed a whellchair to go to court. The judge dismissed both tickets and released the fines.

Aside from the pain, being off of the medicines for 5 days has screwed up his progress of treatment. One of the discharge instructions were to keep his right arm in a sling with no use. He was not wearing it when he was picked up- he was going to shower- and he was refused it in jail. He has been diagonosed with gout, RA, fibromayliga and they are testing for some blood disease that they were trying to do with the meds.

I dont know if there is anything I can do about this but he suffered badly for 5 days- I wonder if they do that to people that dont get to see the judge for longer periods of time. Even if we cant get anything out of it I would like to see the guards punished or the way they do things as far as giving medicine to people. Like I said these were 5 year old traffic tickets that werent even moving violations. I wonder what they do to j walkers lol. THanks for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">