• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violence Divorce Moving Property... Help PLZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

libertyjones

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I'm asking on behalf of my mother who is seeking a divorce.

~Bit of History~
She married a man only to find out several months into the marriage that he was/is a cross dresser (not making a judgment here) with a history of abuse (extreme violence against his ex wife). He has had felony charges against him at least 4 times that I know of and amazingly they were all plea bargained.

The first few years he did beat her until she took legal action against him, the physical abuse stop but not the public humiliation, verbal abuse, controlling and episodes of rage.

She started a business and supported him financially for the years to come, he only working intermittently.

She loved him and tried to make ago of it for many years (10) with promises from him that he would straighten up, stop dressing, be loving, etc. (like that was going to happen!)

5 years ago she was in a car accident that left her disabled she received a settlement and purchased a home and developed the land and began renting one other residence. She still runs her business and supports him- he work twice a week as a ~postal~ carrier. (craziness)

His name is one the property with hers.

I want add here that all (her) children are out of the house now.

Recently, he has become more volatile. He has slashed her horse with a knife for bucking him off. (Yes, he is currently under investigation for animal abuse) He has broken furniture in his fits and constantly demeans and berates her. BTW he is an avid hunter with several guns.

She’s now seeking a divorce. She is very limited financially and can’t afford an attorney.

(Finally the propound questions) :confused:
Can she leave state while attempting to divorce him?
For reasons of safety?
If so will she loose her property to him?
What is the most sensible course of action to take given these circumstances?

ALL responses are appreciated.

Thank for taking the time to read and consider this quandary. I’ll be happy to provide to additional information if it is need; just ask!

LdiJ

libertyjones said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I'm asking on behalf of my mother who is seeking a divorce.

~Bit of History~
She married a man only to find out several months into the marriage that he was/is a cross dresser (not making a judgment here) with a history of abuse (extreme violence against his ex wife). He has had felony charges against him at least 4 times that I know of and amazingly they were all plea bargained.

The first few years he did beat her until she took legal action against him, the physical abuse stop but not the public humiliation, verbal abuse, controlling and episodes of rage.

She started a business and supported him financially for the years to come, he only working intermittently.

She loved him and tried to make ago of it for many years (10) with promises from him that he would straighten up, stop dressing, be loving, etc. (like that was going to happen!)

5 years ago she was in a car accident that left her disabled she received a settlement and purchased a home and developed the land and began renting one other residence. She still runs her business and supports him- he work twice a week as a ~postal~ carrier. (craziness)

His name is one the property with hers.

I want add here that all (her) children are out of the house now.

Recently, he has become more volatile. He has slashed her horse with a knife for bucking him off. (Yes, he is currently under investigation for animal abuse) He has broken furniture in his fits and constantly demeans and berates her. BTW he is an avid hunter with several guns.

She’s now seeking a divorce. She is very limited financially and can’t afford an attorney.

(Finally the propound questions) :confused:
Can she leave state while attempting to divorce him?
For reasons of safety?
If so will she loose her property to him?
What is the most sensible course of action to take given these circumstances?

ALL responses are appreciated.

Thank for taking the time to read and consider this quandary. I’ll be happy to provide to additional information if it is need; just ask!
This is one of those cases where she really NEEDS an attorney. She also needs to try to get a restraining order to keep him away.

O

oreilly72

Definitely. This is not a good time to think of an attorney as an expense she can't afford. She MUST. And she must also get a restraining order IMMEDIATELY, and BEFORE she moves... this guy could come after her and a restraining order would giver her a basis to have him locked up immediately.

Sell whatever she can give up, and get a consultation right away. When trying to think of what to give up, remember it could be potentially life-saving before worrying about sentimental value.

L

libertyjones

Thank you

Both.

This is EXACTLY what I have been telling her.

She has become somewhat numb to the abuse and doesn't see the very real potential for it to become life thretening as I clearly do; she feels getting a order of protection is "being a traitor or a baby". I say it is a must.

I hope that she will consider the restraining order after reading these posts.

king sol

If she contacts her local women's shelter, they will be able to help her immediately. It will cost nothing and she can be in safety. I believe that most shelter's also offer free legal services to obtain a restraining order.

Tell her to press charges or at least make compaints with the police dept. as a paper trail to the abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">