• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non disciplinary demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brutus232

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Ok, I work for a county Sheriff's office that has about 100 sworn personnel. I am a Sergeant in a Supervisory/administrative position. Due to a failed program the Sheriff has had to lay off 29 people. I was just told that due to these layoffs, I was being demoted (Corporal) and put in a different position. ( I was not told if my pay would be affected) There is currently other Sergeant positions open. One is being filled by a person that has the same promotion date as me, however I have more time on the job. Another position is currently being filled by a person junior to me. Do I have any options available to me. I have looked over our personnel book but there is really nothing in there that pertains to this situation. Shouldnt I have first pick at another position of the same pay grade over those that are junior to me?? Shouldnt they demote the most junior person first and work up? Can they reduce my pay for a non disciplinary demotion?? I have held my current position for 16 months.

Beth3

When a layoff happens, it's usually necessary to shuffle the deck with the remaining employees in order to fill some of the positions that have been vacated by those who were let go. Absent an employment contract or binding guarantees to the contrary, an employer may do that in any manner they wish, whether moving current employees to less desirable positions based on their seniority, or their experience, or demonstrated ability, etc.

As long as individuals aren't singled out for the junior spots based on a protected characteristic (age, race, gender, national origin, religion, etc.) nothing unlawful has taken place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">