• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment from Neighbor, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blue-eyz

What is the name of your state?NY
Ok, this is my first time on here. The problems go back about a year and a half when a couple moved next door to me and my husband. Since then there have been numerous problems with them. They were raising rabbits in a small area which brought rats to the back of my house. I complained to the bldg inspector and he had to get rid of them. They were no allowed in the village. Since then, he has verbally threatened us; put nails in our driveway, etc. We have police reports filed but couldn't prove anything. Then he started walking his dogs in front of our house and shining flashlights into our windows. We videotaped it all and the police warned him and his wife to stop or we could have him arrested for harassment. It stopped but then he started doing other obsene things, the list is too long to go into. This is a constant thing and my husband and I are verbally harssed everytime we go outside. I am really ready to lose my mind over this and they have destroyed any peace and quiet that we have. I am at my witts end and don't know where to turn for help. There is no reasoning with them!

J

jasim

Bad neighbors

I understand how you feel, and your complaint about your neighbor was not at all unreasonable! I, too, just posted about my problems with a bad neighbor. I hope everything works out for you.

B

blue-eyz

Neighbor harassment continued

NY State. My legal question is , can I sue for harassment? If so would this cost me a fortune to do so?

Ciarraine

Your best bet is a restraining order, which if he violates puts him unequivocably in criminal trouble.

Yes, you can sue for harassment. How much will it cost? Depends.

B

blue-eyz

More harassment

How do I get a restraining order? The last time the police got involved and warned him, he had his 13 year old son doing the harassing.

Ciarraine

Call your district attorney's office and ask what agency in your area you need. In some states you do it with the clerk of the court, in some with the sheriff, in others with the police...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">