• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Never Filed Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proxy

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Is there any action that can be taken against an attorney I hired to file an appeal to a conviction- he said I didnt go to him in time for him to file- we had 30 days and I paid him 2500 on the 10th day after the sentence. He then charged me another 2500 "so he could take care of things" I have had no contact with him although I have phoned his office once a week for 6 months only to be blown off by his secretary. Is there anything I can do? Can I get a chance to file the appeal based on the attorneys negligence?

badapple40

Some states do allow a delayed appeal based on attorney negligence. Moreover, you may be able to raise an innefective assistance of counsel claim as to the appeal and thus be able to get leave to file the appeal that way.

When did the conviction occur?

If this is like a year old conviction, I'd say you are out of luck, if you only recently were convicted, probably a different story.

You may want to file a complaint with the bar assocation/state supreme court against this guy also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">