• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Couldn't reapply for UI since I couldn't find a job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nfx

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,
I was laid off from my last job and my final day of employment was July 31, 2003. I used up my benefits in approximately 26 weeks, another 6 months passed and I as I had still been unable to find a new job I reapplied for UI thinking I was now eligible again. Admittedly, I didn't read the UI benefits guide closely as it came as something of a shock when I was told that since I hadn't worked in the last year I couldn't file for UI. I was sent a 'Notice of Determination of Invalid Claim, Section 1277' where a box was marked next to 'You did not perform any work during the above period' (08/17/03 to 08/14/04). At the bottom of that notice is the following statement: "Any unemployment insurance claim you file will be invalid under Section 1277 until 01/2005 at which time this test will no longer apply." Does this mean if I still haven't found a job by 01/2005 that I will again be eligible?

Beth3

I doubt it. Individuals earn unemployment benefits by working. They become eligible to receive unemployment benefits if then then lose their job through no fault of their own.

Until you have found employment and worked the requisite number of weeks and earned the minimum amount of wages required during that time, you will not again be eligible for unemployment benefits. At the present, you have exhausted all the UC benefits you are entitled to.

I expect that statement refers to the "look back" period the State used to calculate your potential eligibility when you applied for the second time - you hadn't worked or earned any wages in the past 12 months and had already exhausted any UC benefits to which you were entitled. If you apply again after Jan 05, they'll apply a new test but if you haven't worked and earned wages between now and then, a new "test" will result in the same finding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">