• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination? Turtle Fiasco?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnnyDoll

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas.
I have been the assistant manager of a petshop/supply for just over five years. The reptiles are counted in the morning at about 9am by a member of the dayshift and again after closing at about 8:30pm by a member of the nightshift. The inventory of reptiles is NOT counted at shift change. There is about a 12 hour window between countings and between six and seven different employees coming and going on shifts throughout the workday. All have access to the animals. There is no particular person who does this inventory.
Thursday at 9am there were 5 small turtles. At closing, 8:15pm, I counted 4. There were two other employees with me on the nightshift: A newer employee who left at 6:30 pm. Myself and another employee who has worked there for two years, closed the store. The next day when I arrive at work, myself and the other employee "Bob" were accused of stealing the turtle because we "were the last to handle the animals". The employer demanded that we pay the retail price for the turtle ($100). I believe the turtle cost $40 wholesale. No where had we signed anything stating that we would be financially liable for an animal.

Since so many other employees had had access to the animals in the last 12 hours, and there are no survielance cameras, we didn't feel it fair to charge us. So they refused us our checks. The boss said to me "The whole crew from last night is FIRED that way I know we got the one who did it." I was shocked and turned to him and said "Am I fired? Do I just, um, go home?" And his wife put out her hand for my keys to the store. Bob and I left with no checks.
The next day we were called and told to get our checks. Both of use were docked back $100 each (The turtle price has doubled?) They gave me no termination paperwork because they said I handed my keys in and walked out.
I'm shocked and confused. What happened and what do I do?

Beth3

Terminating you on suspicion of misconduct is not a wrongful termination, even if your boss is grossly mistaken. This situation is certainly unfair but it is not unlawful.

Your boss cannot however deduct anything from your paycheck without your authorization. Call Texas's Department of Labor and file a complaint about that right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">