• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Syndi912

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I have been recieving SSI benifits for 4 years because I am disabled. My husband works full time. My question is why is my SSI affected if he gets a raise in pay? :confused: I don't understand, can anyone explain it to me, please?

Whyte Noise

Because the SSA "deems" part of your husband's income to you when determining what your monthly benefit is.

SSI is a needs-based program, kind of likened to Welfare. The less money and resources you have the more your SSI benefit is, up to the maximum monthly SSI benefit of $564. The MORE money and resources you have, the less your monthly benefit will be.

You're only allowed a certain amount of household income. If your husband gets a raise, the household income goes up. Therefore, your SSI benefit gets reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">